.netrc and Automatic ftp problem

Guy's

We have two AIX servers

Server1 and Server2

and we have created user1 in Server1 and Server2 ...

and .netrc file was confiured under /home/user1 with the below line

machine server2 login user1 password abc1234567

-rw------- 1 user1 staff 159 Sep 28 2004 .netrc

When I try to do FTP to the belwo I'm getting the below message and its asking me user name and password !

ftp server2
Connected to server2
220 server2 FTP server (Version 4.2 Wed Apr 11 11:55:13 CDT 2007) ready.
Name (server2 :user1):

is there any missing or needed configuration need to be done on the server to let the FTP continuing to server2 without asking for password ?

edit by bakunin: corrected spelling in the title to make it findable by the forum search

The messages suggest that you are logged in as "root" not "user1". The .netrc (or a copy of it) would need to be in root's home directory.

This is an example message and it's similar what I got !

Why is asking me password ?!

seam that meaning is not reading .netrc file !!

You might want to re-read what methyl told you: you have placed the ".netrc" file in /home/user1 and perhaps there is a user account "user1" you want to use.

It might be that you accidentally started the ftp process not while you are user1 but root (or some other user, root is just the most probable one) and therefore your .netrc is not being used. Probably you are writing a script to run the whole process. Insert an "id" command directly above the "ftp" command to find out.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

.netrc are configured under /home/user1 and I'm trying to do Automatic ftp from this directory and with user1 !

but still I'm getting this message and its asking me to login

ftp server2
Connected to server2
220 server2 FTP server (Version 4.2 Wed Apr 11 11:55:13 CDT 2007) ready.
Name (server2 :user1):

I think system is not reading the contains of .netrc !

These Configuration of .netrc should be done in server1 in this example.
did you checked that?

Yes , it's already been done in the both but still not working !

Long shot.
Is the password too long? See "man passwd" for your system for the number of significant characters.