Netra 210 Bypasses Openboot Prompt

Hey guys

My netra box bypasses the openboot prompt on startup and goes straight to the OS. Is there anyway I could reset this without knowing the root password to the box.

Thanks

do a "send break" or "stop + a" to the machine to drop to the "ok" prompt and there do a "setenv auto-boot? false" and you're done...

what are you calling the send key? Is that the enter key because I dont see a send key on the sun keyboard. Also the stop +A,D or N don't work.

the v210 has a alom. can you connect to that? from there you can send the break and enter to console to get to the ok prompt. if the alom network isn't configured, you might have to use a serial connection...

Here is an image of the relevant parts of a typical sun keyboard. Have you something similar?

yes, the keyboard is exactly like that. I'm not sure if ALOM is configured. This machine was purchased 1yr and half ago for a avaya VOIP project which went bad. The system was setup and sat on a shelf turned off for over a year. No one knows who set the box up and box out of warranty. It doesn't matter if I connect serial or keyboard, mouse and monitor the screen stays black until login prompts shows up.

You cant access ALOM via the keyboard. You will need a serial connection to the ALOM if you wish to use that. From the keyboard, do this after you poweron the system:-
Once you see the screen come out, when you see the memory initialization/ banner, quick do a Stop+A using the SUN keyboard

Ok I have a RJ-45 to 9pin connector I will try this and report back.

---------- Post updated at 02:13 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:13 PM ----------

Ok I plugged the RJ-45 connector into the network management port into my cisco 2950 switch. I its not requesting an IP address so it must be setup as manual IP so that is not working. Would there be a jumper on the motherboard to force defaults?

No need to use switch... Directly connect to the system's serial mgmt port or ALOM with the RJ-45 to your laptop.

I don't know the IP address of the ALOM port, I plugged into the switch to see if it would request and IP then the switch would have an mac address then I could lookup the IP in DHCP.

Why would you need an IP if you're doing a direct connect? Do you get what I mean?:o

Sorry for my ignorance and thank you for your patience. I was under the assumption that the management port work like a DRAC port of a Dell box. I downloaded some info on the serial management port and I will try to connect to and report back my findings.