NetBSD on VirtualBox

Hello, guys!

I use Ubuntu 9.04 as desktop operating system and I want to make some tests on NetBSD. I tried to install as a virtual sistem on VirtualBox but it doesn't want to install. You can see the error in the attached file.

Do you guys have any clue about what the problem could be?

It's hardware issue. Virtualbox hardware is not properly recognized by NetBSD. Here is what I got from virtualbox site:

- Go to Settings/General/Advanced
- Disable "Enable ACPI"
- Disable "Enable IO APIC"
- Enable "Enable VT-x/AMD-V"
- Set "IDE controller type" to "PIIX4" 

Try that.
Nitin :slight_smile:

Thanks for your answer, Nitin!

I disabled ACPI. IO APIC was already disabled. Unfortunately the "Enable VT-x/AMD-V" options is not active. It still doesn't work. I guess that my CPU doesn't support this option. Could this be the problem? I installed other operating systems and it installed without any problem - Ubuntu, CentOS, FreeBSD, OpenSolaris, Windows XP.

What version of NetBSD are you trying to install? I don't think host OS (i.e. Ubuntu) and your hardware have anything to do with it. Especially, if you said that you were able to install other OS's. It's Virtualbox. Another OS you can try is FreeBSD or OpenBSD. They are very closely related to each other.
Sorry, I'm not very big on BSD troubleshooting. I just prefer to use Mac :slight_smile:

Try Xen or Vmplayer. Vmplayer (from Vmware) should definitely work. I think you can download some pre-made BSD images/appliances from Vmware site. Virtualbox will also play Vmware vmdk files. Also there is a hack way to make your own images on Vmplayer. But I won't go there yet! :wink: