needed help in finding a suitable video player!

Hi all,
I had been using kde 3.5.8 for a while on solaris but the problem was that i was not able to use Gnome for some strange reasons...
It constantly used to misbehave.
(Whether it was cde-login or gdm)
So i had to remove kde completely and now am left with no video or audio players .
So i would request anyone to please point me out to a working video player on solaris. Also a suitable audio player!

Thanks

mplayer is pretty good IMO.
Works with most solaris video drivers to give pretty reasonable hardware acceleration and it is smart enough to use windows DLLs so you can even play quicktime and realmedia files.

This will do the job a well
Windows Media Player 6.3

Either something very cool is happening with media player or there's a joke here that I don't understand...

BTW, I forgot to add earlier that mplayer will also do audio fairly well but xmms is a very nice audio player with very winamp-like X11 frontends available.

try:
CSW packaging home
and install pkg-get... with that you can install vlc (video lan client). you can compile it of course on your own... VideoLAN - Free and Open Source software and video streaming solutions for every OS! but it's maybe easier to use "pkg-get".

hth,
DN2

If Im joking, then what's this? I know about mplayer too :slight_smile:
Windows Media Player - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You recommended a player that's been defunct for 8 years, and that frankly was horrible, and only played WMVs..

DukeNuke2 has it right.. videolan is the best thing around, but personally, I found the CSW version (8.0.6) buggy. I'd go the compilation route.

reads wiki page

That's very cool!

Vlc binary packages for Solaris:
Packages - Life with Solaris

Well that's definately getting downloaded then :slight_smile: My mplayer solution never did do the apple.com trailers properly, VLC should sort that nicely!:cool:

Realplayer is available for Solaris.

Realplayer has no codecs for avi, xvid, divx, etc? VLC player has all these codecs and can show all these formats without problems.

Also Mplayer at blastwave.org works good too. They say mplayer plays even more formats than vlc player. Use the gui frontend which is called "gmplayer".