Need to clone two AIX machines

Hello,

I have two AIX machine and i want to make the two nodes to be identical , so i will change the Hostname, IP and copy the hosts file to node 2.

anything else need to copy it from node 1 to node 2 to ensure that two nodes will be the same?

Thanks

Hold up...what do you mean by identical...that isn't cloning. Are they already at the same aix level, are they part of a cluster?

Yes, the two machines the same aix version and same TL, i need to make node 2 have the same configuration of node 1.
i will shutdown node 2 after configured, and it will be as a backup of node 1

In that case just take the mksysb of node 1 and restore it on node 2.

Hi,

Without doubt, this is a mksysb scenario.

Regards

Dave

Yes.. mksysb for rootvg... savevg/restvg for all other VGs..
best scenario is to use a nim server for the above...

Or, depending your storage you can make snapshots or flashcopys for all LUNS and map to the other new AIX.. (Before start change IPs or you wiull get a dupplicated conflict on your network).

As said above, this is a job for mksysb.

However, if you do this often enough or do not want to hassle with setting up the NIM server and doing mksysb + savevg, Storix System Backup Administrator for AIX can back up the entire system (rootvg + all other VGs) and clone it to different hardware. The software will even change the network configurations at install time so you do not have duplicate IPs.

Just another option you might want to consider.

Good luck on your clone!

A NIM server setup is quite straightforward and can - within the scope mentioned here - be done in less than an hour.*) Is it only me when i fail to see the "hassle"? I suppose the software you mentioned has a certain amount of necessary effort to be installed and configured too, let alone that it presumably costs some money whereas NIM is part of AIX and as such comes at no (additional) charge, is supported by the OS manufacturer and its procedures are too.

Furthermore, using a NIM server and an mksysb resource covers exactly the problem you describe: duplicate IP addresses. When installing a new machine from an "mksysb" resource you give the new system its own (and hopefully unique) IP address which is used instead of the address of the system the image was taken from. Otherwise the installation would not even take place because it is done using "tftp" at the start (to download the initial rudimentary system used to install the main OS) and this a functional IP address to work.

bakunin

*) it is wise to put considerably more effort into it if you want a platform for software provisioning, installation, deployment, etc. for a bigger environment. All these things are in the scope of NIM, but not within the context mentioned here.

I apologize to the moderator and others if I overstepped the bounds here. We have a number of customers who have stated that it is "less hassle" using SBAdmin than setting up a separate NIM server and making multiple backups (mksysb and savevg).

Because we have a 30-day trial, he could use that to clone the system for free. As I stated in my original message, mksysb is a good tool to use for the clone. My intention was just to offer up another solution. Of course I am biased as to the value of SBAdmin over NIM+mkssyb+savevg, so I'll keep that in mind before posting.