Need suggestions on Virtual Machine software for Windows

Hi,

I am currently having an issue with Virtualbox. It, at one point in time, worked like a charm. Then my internal 500GB HD failed in my PC. It was under warranty and I sent off for another one but did not want to pay for the expedited shipping nor did I want to wait a few weeks to get the drive back, so I went down to the local computer shop and bought a 1TB SATA2 HD for $80, which was a steal I thought.

Well, I reloaded Windows (Vista Ultimate 64) and reloaded all my apps and all is good, except virtual box now crashes constantly. I did some reading on line and found that some other people had similar problems on larger hard drives. Well, when my 500gig drive came back from RMA I installed it and loaded virtual box and all the vdis and all the OS ISOs and everything else on that 500gig drive to make sure that it wasn't the large HD.

I am still in crash city, and it crashes constantly. I have tried BSD, Solaris, Ubuntu, Debian, and Redhat and still, VB crashes on me constantly. No other app crashes at all, and the only difference is now my OS is running off a 1TB HD instead of a 500gig. Other than that, same hardware and same software configurations.

Is there any other open source virtual machine software out there? I want to run a VM of Linux for web development on my PC, but keep windows as the main OS so I can play the occasional video game and also do some minor development on the Windows side.

Thanks,

Tom

Try Wmware Player is it is free-

also try qemu

:slight_smile: