need some help with backup

Hello,

I am new to using AIX. I am trying to figure out how to make a backup of the system. there is a rootvg and a datavg on it. I would like to get both but datavg is the one i really need. I have tried using mksysb to burn to a dvd but it does not look like it is writing to the disk. the step i tried was to mount a cifs and do i backup to there. I got an error that it could not connect. when I try it again it says that i have cifs mounted. I would like to be able to get this sent a a share i have on a windows 2008 server.

thanks

Show exactly what you did when you tried to mount the cifs, word for word, letter for letter, keystroke for keystroke.

mkcifsmnt -f /cifs_fs -d AIX -h hmpsrv01 -c mrwadmin -p password -x 755 -w HMP

$ touch /cifs_fs/foo # as the mrwadmin user
$ savevg -i -f /cifs_fs/foo datavg

Whilst a savevg is great for Disaster Recovery purposes, and can be used to grab single files from the savevg for restore purposes, I really prefer considering requirements for backup using an intelligent backup tool, ideally aware of incremental forever methodology.

Now we don't all have pots of cash to pay for TSM (or whatever enterprise software you may use) or this may be a test system, but there are options.

Checkout Burp: BURP - BackUp and Restore Program

Also, google Bacula and Amanda, bith a bit trickier to setup than Burp.

A good write-up on Burp in this months Admin Magazine (UK) which you can get from waterstones/wh smith and the like. Home - ADMIN | The resource for all system administrators

An "mksysb" is always an image of the rootvg only. It is used to create a backup set with all the configuration/customization information of a system in place so that it can be set up again fast in case of a machine failure or to clone a system onto another one. In fact mksysb-format backups include boot blocks so it is possible to directly boot a system from such an image and restore it from it in one pass.

There is the more general command "savevg", which creates a backup for any volume group. "mksysb" is in fact using "savevg", but putting a boot block and other information in front of this image. gts1999 already told you about "savevg".

The destination for either a mksysb- or a savevg-image is classically a tape drive, but can be any device or file. Just make sure you have enough room for it on this device/file.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

Thanks guys for the help. I have been able to get my data backed. I am trying to get one mksysb done to a mounted volume. I have created a nfs mount to a linux nas device. is this the correct syntax
mksysb -i /backup/image

will that create the bootable image that can be burned?

thanks

No, unfortunately not. The boot block will only be included when you use a tape as destination. This tape will be bootable directly.

The other option is to create a mksysb file like you intend to do and then use another booting device to boot from. You can still use the mksysb image to restore the system from scratch, you will just need another medium to boot from in addition, that's all.

Tip: when you managed to get something backed up you do NOT have a working backup because of that. Try to restore it and if this succeeds, THEN you have a working backup.

I hope this helps.

bakunin