need small information iun ufsdump

Dears,
I have two question about using ufsdump
1) i read in all documents that the first recommended thing before using the ufsdump
umount file system
i don't how to umount the file system?
if my server work for 24 in 7 how to take backup is this case
2) if i want to make accumulative backup how can i do this in UNIX?

thanks in advance

Hi hosney00ux ,
why not :)) of course it's safe when u unmount ,or at least there is no activity on
source drive. otherwise you can do it even without any warnings :))
but dont forget that files which are open in backup time are not included ..
if its ok for your environment go straight on it :))))

Good luck

thanks samar for your reply
but i still also don't know how to umount the file system

# umount /moutpoint

thats all... but note, you can not unmount your systems mountpoints (like /usr) only mountpoints with data not needed by the system!

Use ufsdump on a snapshot of your filesystems. Snapshots are read-only so there is no need to unmount them.

Backing Up a UFS Snapshot (System Administration Guide: Devices and File Systems) - Sun Microsystems

why you need to umount it? besides, you said your server works 24/7 service :)))

Guys you can do it without any snapshots... why you re wasting time when your getting the same result without snapshots :)))

If you like taking risks, yes.

Not the same result. A backup made of a mounted and read-write filesystem might be worthless.

I have done it many times, have never had any issue. Maybe I'm lucky :slight_smile:

my practises don't show any difference exept that exceptions mentioned on my previous post.

The issue is not that much files created in backup time are not included but about overall consistency. Files can be removed, renamed or have their content modified during the backup. Unpredictable behavior may result with a system restored from such a backup.

hi all;
if i want to take full image from my hard disk and restore it again to another hard disk
what is the step to do that
this is my hard disk
/dev/dsk/c1d0s0 mount /
/dev/dsk/c1d0s1 mount swap
/dev/dsk/c1d0s7 mount /export/hoem

there is more then one solution for this...

1. boot your system from a cd/dvd and use "ufsdump/ufsrestore"
  2. create a flasharchive from your system (read "man flarcreate")
  3. create a software mirror of your disk with slvm
  4. you can also use "liveupgrade" to make a full copy of your existing disk

the solution you should choose depends on your requirements! (system can/can't have downtime; the new disk is/isn't in the same machine; ...)

1. #format (check availability of HDD in system)

2. #prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s2 | fmthard -s - /dev/rdsk/cxtxdxs2 (if they are in same size)

3. #newfs /dev/rdsk/cxtxdxs0 (setting up File system)

4. #mount /dev/dsk/cxtxdxs0 /mnt (mount corresponding sliice on which copying will accomplished)

5. #ufsdump 0f - /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s0 | (cd /mnt && ufsrestore rf - )

6. #umount /mnt
    Steps 3-6 will be repeated for each slice

7. # installboot /usr/platform/`uname -i`/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk /dev/rdsk/cxtxdxs0

of course this is only one way u can do that. as DukeNuke2 said it depends on your requirements

thats all .. enjoy :))

good luck

very thanks for your effort helping me in this backup solution

The ufsdump man page very clearly tells you not to do a dump against a read/write mounted file system.