Need help on YUM

HI,

First I'll use yum check-update to check any updates.

Q1: How can I know that how much space needed to update all packages listed by yum check-update command?

Q2: How can I list kernel related packages?

TIA

Hello Sumanthsv,

For knowing the space while installing any new package it will prompt us for our answer in form of Y or N as follows(Just an example). By that you could check about space and if you are not ok with it just cancel it by entering N .

# yum install firefox
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
Dependencies Resolved
================================================================================================
Package                    Arch        Version                    Repository            Size        
================================================================================================
Updating:
firefox                        i686        10.0.6-1.el6.centos     updates             20 M
Updating for dependencies:
xulrunner                     i686        10.0.6-1.el6.centos     updates             12 M
Transaction Summary
Install       0 Package(s)
Upgrade       2 Package(s)
Total download size: 32 M
Is this ok [y/N]: y

For your second query to check specific packages related to kernel you could try following once.

yum list updates 'kernel*'

Thanks,
R. Singh

Thanks for the reply RavinderSingh,

If am installing single package I can find the size as you told, but yum check-update command will list hundreds of packages...how can I find the total size of all the packages..

TIA