need help on NMON in AIX

HI,

I have downloaded nmon 3.3c nmon analyzer, and run the command on aix ./nmon -f

After that I have terminated the process and found .nmon file.

when i have tried to open that file in nmon analyzer i.e in excel I am getting the error "no valid input data nmon run may have failed"

Please suggest.

please explain what you are trying to do at all ?

a valid once off nmon command would be

nmon -s 60 -c 3 -f

where -s is the interval between runs and -c the number of times you want to run it. I assume you have interrupted your run before it had been finished so your data is corrupted ?

Kind regards
zxmaus

Thanks for your quick response, basically my requirement is to collect the NMON data for one day or 2 day,

so i have run the command ./nmon so that i can terminate in between if I want.

please let me know the version which i am using is correct or any other version i have to use

also let me know i have terminated the ./nmon process after 15 mins this time interval is sufficient?

Wheather i have to copy the file before terminating?

Hi Manoj,

if you want to collect your data for lets say 24 hrs in 5 min intervals you could just setup a cronjob like:

03 0 * * * cd /var/mksysb_images/nmon && /usr/bin/nmon -s 300 -c 288 -f 2>/dev/null

and when you want to run nmon manually in addition, eg to check something, do it the normal way - run nmon as a plain command and once the screen opens, issue the keys of the screens you want to see.

I am running on my systems nmon Version 12e for 5300-07 and use nmon analyzer 3.39 - works perfectly fine for me.

Hope that helps,
kind regards
zxmaus

Thanks, could you send me the downloadable link for 3.39 as i have seen on ibm site on zip file is available and after unzipping it it is showing 3.3c

Hi Manoj,
unfortunately my souce was the same that now only offers 3.3c :frowning: - I could send ou the file if you send me your mail via PM ?

Another thought: which excel version are you using ?

Kind regards
zxmaus

Excel 2007.

oops missed my email.

manu_unix@ymail.com.

Manoj,
I believe that is your problem - the analyzer only runs properly with excel 2000/2003 according developer forum. Can you retry just using compability mode ?

Rgds
zxmaus

Ok, thanks for your kind help.