Need Help Installing Legacy System on Newer Hardware

We have a legacy software application that runs on SCO OpenServer 5.0.6, and the current server (built around 2003-04) is still running. I have been attempting to upgrade the hardware, to hopefully increase the time that we will have access to the data in this system, but am running into an apparently common problem with the SATA controller driver.

The server I am attempting to use is from about 2008, has a SuperMicro X7DVL-E motherboard, with an Intel ESB2 SATA controller. The best advice I can find using Google is to try and use the ad320_btld driver that I've found on the SCO public ftp site. However, when I try to install using this, it never appears to get installed correctly. When it lists the devices at the point of beginning to install, it still shows the adapter as "wd", and says that there is no disk detected for installation.

First question is - am I wasting my time, and this will never work?
Second question is - what might I be doing wrong when trying to install the ad320_btld driver? I insert the separate floppy that I have copied the downloaded image file to, but I never get asked if I want to "replace" the wd driver.

Any help would be appreciated - Thanks!

Can the cmos be configured so that the sata controller is in compatible/legacy mode.
If so it should install using the wd driver.
There is no driver for the sata controller in RAID or AHCI mode.

Yes, for a few tries I did have that setting wrong, but yesterday I found advice online that said it had to be in legacy mode, so I found out how to do that in my cmos. Now when the installation begins it shows that there is 1 fixed disk detected (and I am now using a brand-new hard drive). However when the devices start to load, I can see it attempting to install the wd driver, but after a few seconds I receive the following:

WARNING: hd: no root disk controller was found.
hd: a Boot-Time Loadable Driver may be required.

I have tried several, but nothing seems to work, I just keep getting the same message. Is there anything else I can try? Thanks.

If there is an ide controller, disable it.
There are 6 sata ports on the motherboard; in legacy mode, only 4 are recognized as primary master, primary slave, secondary master, and secondary slave.
Make sure that the disk is connected to the primary master port (probably port 0).
If this still fails, there is a LSI raid controller that is supported, I looked at the mb specs, that has a driver you can download from LSI.

OK, some progress... by trial and error I found the right SATA port for the installation to recognize, and the adapter is now listed as "wd". Now there is a new issue - the following errors now prevent it from going further:

"Unexpected trap in kernel mode: (long list of codes)"
"PANIC: k_trap - Kernel mode trap type 0x0000000E"

I have run a memory test as suggested on the web, all tests passed. I am using 2 Kingston KVR667D2D4F5/2G (2 GB each) memory modules. I have also cleaned various connectors, etc., as also suggested on the web. I have not touched the 2 CPUs because I don't want to make things worse.

Are there other suggestions I can try? Thanks.

Remove any add-in network or video cards that are not required for the initial installation.
How far into the installation does this happen, during the questionaire period, or after the install starts.
You could also download a 5.0.7 or 6.0.0 cd from xinuos.com to see if the same error occurs.

I had already downloaded 5.0.7 and so I'm trying it now. It is not coming up with the same error, but it appears to be "hung". It is at the point where it's listing the devices, and it is hung at the following line:

%adapter - ha=0, type=usb_msto UDI SCSI HBA
G hd_config

I can't tell if the second line is a run-on from the previous line, or separate? I really appreciate all your help with this, jgt. I will keep watching to see if it gets past this, but it has been a while.

Does it automatically try to format or configure the hd? Like I said, I think I'm using a previously unused drive.

Thanks

---------- Post updated at 04:25 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:38 PM ----------

Updated information: the 5.0.7 installation never got past the line:
G hd_config

So, I put in a different hard drive just for fun, and put in the 5.0.6 installation CD, and it bombs with the same "Unexpected trap error in kernel mode:" This occurs right after the line: G hd_config, so my guess is that 5.0.7 installation was having the same issue, just did not give me the trap error.

I can post all of the codes referenced in the error if it will help, at this point I'm not finding many help suggestions on the web. Please let me know if there are more options to try and get this server running.

Thanks.

Unlike MS operating systems you can move a disk from one motherboard to another as long as the disk controller uses the same driver.
You might try duplicating the disk from the production system and see it it will boot.
Most of the disk duplicators will work although you will not be able to change the partition sizes.

I am attaching a screenshot of the "Unexpected trap error" I am now getting when I try the install. I have run memory test and there are no errors, and I have also removed and cleaned various motherboard components, which is from advice I found through Google searching. I don't know what else to try, so any help will be appreciated. This server was running fine about a month ago, it was retired when I migrated from Windows 2003 server, so there are no known hardware issues. Thanks.

It could simply be that the sata controller is not as standard as one would hope.
You could acquire a LSI controller. Probably $500. Or depending on the number of users etc., use a socket 775 system, or early i3 (one that is not Win8 certified.)

OK, I understand. I will take another look at my options and maybe try different hardware. I appreciate all of your help, and I might be back again. Thanks!

---------- Post updated at 02:51 PM ---------- Previous update was at 10:37 AM ----------

I am now attempting to install Open Server 5.0.6 on a different server that is from about the same era, and I've gotten it to recognize the hard disk and begin the installation. Now I have a different, less understandable problem.

I will start by saying the CD/DVD drive is recognized in CMOS as the IDE Primary Slave device, and is selected as the first Boot device. The 5.0.6 disk is in that drive and it boots up just fine. When it gets to the part where it lists the devices, however, the drive is not listed - although my hard drive is listed. When installation begins, I get to the point when it asks where my installation files are located, so I select the IDE CD Rom from the list, and I get an error. It says that there is no controller found for the device.

If there is no controller found, how is it reading the disk to get the boot process to start? I don't understand this one, so any help will be appreciated. I know it's been a long time since I've installed this O/S, but I don't remember all of these issues before. Thanks.

Try this
SCO OpenServer installation bootstring options.

1 Like

Well, now I'm stuck again. The link mentioned that the CD ROM needs to be set as the Primary Master device in order to be recognized. The drive in this server is a Panasonic Model No. UJDA780 which does not have jumper to set master/slave. I only have one IDE connector on the motherboard that is the size to fit the CD ROM cable, the other port is for a floppy drive which I do not have. In CMOS my device comes up as the IDE Primary Slave, and if I try to force a change there, then the drive does not function at boot up. I am going to scrounge through my old parts to see if I have a usable drive that has the jumpers on it, but is there any other solution? I have a USB CD ROM drive, but I think I'll have the same problem because it won't be recognized as the IDE Primary Master. If you have other suggestions, I would greatly appreciate! Thanks.

Try adding "sdsk=wd(0,1,0)" to the boot prompt, effectively saying that the disk is primary slave. See the same link as in post 12