Need Help connecting to sunfire v240

I recently acquired a sunfire v240 and I'm trying to get into it so I can install linux on it. Right now I'm still trying to get a monitor connected so I can do this.

I've tried connecting to it with a crossover cable to my laptop (vista and linux equipped). I was able to get a connection through one of the com ports with putty under windows, but when the window popped up it was just black with no text and anything that I typed in on the laptop didn't do anything.

I also tried connecting via lan with both ethernet cables and a db9 to rj45 connection-no dice. I don't know the machines ip because I got it used and I know basically nothing about the sun machines or the solaris OS that they use. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

you need to configure the alom to access the server... you can find the complete server documentation at docs.sun.com. the alom section is here:
C H A P T E R 3 - Sun Advanced Lights Out Manager

also note that the v240 is a sparc system and to find a linux that runs (good) on sparc is not easy! it might be better to use solaris...

hth,
DN2

Thank you, I will definately read that over. I was going to use ubuntu simply because I know nothing about solaris. I need something that will be able to perform everyday tasks like document editing, websurfing, instant messaging etc-and I figured it would be easier for me to put linux on it than to learn solaris.

---------- Post updated at 05:53 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:48 PM ----------

Ok I read that but it doesn't tell me how to get a visual. The server is used so it's been configured i'm sure. That chapter assumes that you already have a monitor hooked up to it and I don't have that.