Need help configuring Cable Modem on Solaris x86

I have a dual boot system with XP being the primary for now and Solaris 10 being the Secondary. I have a cable modem and wish to configure the same to be used with Solaris so that I can browse the Internet and such.

I have connected my x86 machine with a Netgear Router and that in turn is connected to the Cable Modem.

I can browse the Web/Internet by means of Windows but probably I need to configure my Ethernet Card plus the Cable Modem to be used with Solaris 10.

I am not much of a UNIX person. Could someone please help?

Thanks

what happens when you "ping" the router?
do you get any replies?

if you get "destination unrechable" or something negative results, can you post the the output of "ifconfig -a" or "dladm show-dev"?
that'll tell us whether your NIC is recognized by Solaris 10.

once those outputs are posted... take a look at this thread. that will help you get the box up and running. just know when you plumb the interface, it might not be hme0. it could be something else. but you will see that with the commands other have suggested you post to the forum.

Hi folks this is what happens when I specify the following

# ifconfig -a gives the following output

lo0 : flags = 2001000849 <UP, LOOPBACK, RUNNING, MULTICAST, IPv4,
VIRTUAL> mtu 8232 index 1
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000

# Jun 30 21:36:55 ktsun sendmail [325]:[ID 702911 mail.alert] unable to qualify my own domain name (localhost) -- using short name

--------------
The command

dladm show-dev show nothing. In other words, I get the \# prompt at the next line without any display.

-------------

your ifconfig -a only shows the loopback interface. NO ip is configured or interface plumbed..
If you want to plumb and IP, do the following: (example)
ifconfig hme0 plumb
ifconfig hme0 172.18.6.23 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast + up

ifconfig -a (to verify)

That would indicate that you most likely don't have a Solaris compatible network card. What type of ethernet card is in the PC?

Try running this device detection tool:

BigAdmin HCL: Sun Device Detection Tool

As reborg said, it's most likely your NIC isn't supported by Solaris.
You can either find a driver and install it or get a supported NIC and install it. The latter is easier, but if you can find a driver, you'll be ok.

here is a great site for free nic drivers for building from source.

Free NIC drivers for Solaris

this is were i found my fa311 netgear driver. worked perfectly.