need help archive script

Hi all,
I am new to linux and scripting so please forgive me. I need to create a script that will archive files but the max size of the archive need to be 500mb or under. I know about the archiving with parts but i want all the archives as individual archives. Can anyone point me in the correct direction?

Could you be more explicit?
What do you call archive?
If archive for you, is just to "archive" a file (Im referring to your words:<<i want all the archives as individual archives..>>) "as" I want a spare copy elsewhere it seems useless to use any archive tool for they create an archive file containing numerous files...

split can cut files into pieces.
Man Page for split (Linux Section 1) - The UNIX and Linux Forums

sorry here are more details.

I have multiple folder with thousands of file anywhere from 300mb -2gb in size. I want to put them into rar or zip files however each rar or zip can only be 500mb max.

currently I am manually selecting the files up to 500mb and then adding them into a rar file. Needless to say this is taking ridicules amounts of time.

Found this in the man zip

in creating the split if you don't have all of the pieces you are unable to unrar the files. That is why I need them to be in separate archives.

• Are all files in same directory?
  • Are there subdirectories?

yes and no the structure will be

abc - 2000 files 2.2Gb
cde - 500 file 400MB
etc..

each directory needs to have those files put into rar.

The no portion is that I would just like the script to walk the directory so I didn't need to run it on each individual folder.