Need gcc binary for a SPARC machine

The machine I am trying to compile on does have /usr/sfw/bin and all the files in it, EXCEPT gcc !!

This is a SUN Sparc-1 machine, so the binary does matter to match this. Can someone send me a gcc so I can put it locally for compilation purposes? Or point me a a site that has a compiled-ready gcc for this Hardware (OS is sunos 5.10)?

The one on my home machine is on an x86, so when I transfer a binary over it does not run on a sparc machine! Which I thought is odd, since it is same OS.

Sunfreeware - Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) for Sun Microsystem's Solaris

No - they do not have thee binary "gcc" alone.

Remember, I do not want to ask admin to install it, I just need gcc, period. Since the file is missing from /use/sfw/bin (I have NO idea why it would be missing from there and everything else there??)

So can you point me to a location on the web that would have a READY-built "gcc" which is built on a SUNOS 5.10 on a SPARC hardware machine? (I assume gcc can run on its OWN without any helper-binaries/libraries), otherwise, of course I'll need related files.

why not download the package and extract the needed file?

that was the first thing I though of. couple of issues:

1-they put source code which you have to build to get gcc, not the actual binaries....unless you can point me to a package which has "gcc" binary in it, and not source code to be built.

2-even if it does have something, they usually get "installed" on the target machine into presepcified directories, such as /usr/sfw/.... and as non-root on that target machine I do not have permission to install.

So all I need is from someone with a sparc machine to please email me that 1 file only, it will be very handy.

xxxxxxxx

Sunfreeware (hopefully) provides binary packages for all programs it distributes.

What makes you feel that gcc binary wouldn't work if installed elsewhere ? Especially as you state everything else is installed but the gcc command.

"Sunfreeware (hopefully) provides binary packages for all programs it distributes."

i looked around last night, no hope - care to send me a specific link?

"What makes you feel that gcc binary wouldn't work if installed elsewhere?"

i am not too familaiar with install process of gcc, would it give one the option to install it locally on a user directory?

i don't know where you looked around...

ftp://ftp.sunfreeware.com/pub/freeware/sparc/10/gcc-3.4.6-sol10-sparc-local.gz

Your answer is confusing. Didn't you previously wrote all of sfw was installed but only the gcc command was missing ?
and again, why aren't you simply asking your administrator to install a C compiler ?

1-yes installed, but not by me, by admin.
2-politics / visibility

---------- Post updated at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous update was at 11:24 AM ----------

Dukenuke2: yes thanks for the links, but in description on site says: "The GNU C compiler and related programs - installs in /usr/local"

question is, as non-root, do I have access to install in /usr/local?

You can extract all of the package files anywhere by using the pkgtrans command. If the only component you need is the gcc binary, which I start to doubt seriously, just extract the package in your home directory, /var/tmp, or /tmp, copy gcc somewhere in your PATH, make it executable and you might be done.

I don't get your politic/visibility point. Do you mean you are asking us to help circumventing a security or whatever measure taken by the people administering your machine ?

ok will give that a try later tonight.

no - I have developed a fully working app and using it for a month now - on another machine, but not on the work machine. I want to indicate that to management. Now if I am after installing this stuff now at work, they may start doubting that I have done this over a month now, so I don't want any leakage on that time-frame (through sysadmins). that's all, nothing more.

---------- Post updated at 01:10 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:55 PM ----------

Jilliagre: regarding you dubting that gcc is all I need, then can you explain my question in this post:

why would sysadmin go ahead and remove the gcc out of there?

Steve, there are various reasons why the sysadmin would remove a compiler binary, not least of which is for security purposes. Not all systems need a compiler installed, and if not then there is no reason to leave one on in order to give tools to miscreants who want to build their own versions of system utilities etc. If you want a compiler on your system, you are going to have to talk to your sysadmin.

As far as security goes, removing the compiler is one of the more useless measures that you often hear about. Whatever means are used to install source files for compilation can instead be used to install the compiler binary itself (or any arbitrary executable).

Regards,
Alister

It would have helped if you have stayed in the original thread instead of starting new ones while still investigating the same issue.
Anyway, did you check is the SFWgcc package is reported to be installed by the OS ?

You do not provide evidence gcc has been removed from there.

DukeNUke2: I am very close! I got the gcc tar package and unloaded it locally, then gcc complained about libiconv.so.2:

...which I know is a dependency, so I brought over:
libiconv-1.14-sol10-sparc-local

but that only has "libiconv.so.2.5.1" in it!!

even if I rename that to libiconv.so.2, how do I make gcc point to it? LD_LIBRARY_PATH does not work.... -L flag also did not do it on gcc...

Hah! I hope all the security "experts" out there are also completely removing all forms of Perl from their machines.

And that's just one way to get around someone who thinks "I can make a system more secure by deleting compilers".

No you can't. Because you're not really changing what any user can actually DO.

All: I am DONE!! finitto! I threw in a sym link from
libiconv.so.2 to libiconv.so.2.5.1. Then include 2 other directories in the lib path using LD_LIBRARY_PATH
-SMCliconv/reloc/lib
-SMCgcc/reloc/lib
and the damn code compiled and linked.
..And I am home free

And concluded that one can indeed install the entire gcc locally without root access and it does still work like normal.

Thanks for all your help!