Need a good scripting book

Just a quick request guys

As you might have guessed I've just started getting involved in Unix

The guys and the boss in the unix team (not with them yet) have given me some projects to do at my request.

Some of which involve scripting. The work is paying for me to go on a scripting course ao things are looking up.

But this is where the problem lies, I use man at every opportunity (and the forums) but I need a reccomendation for a good scripting book for a newbie.

The reason!! I done a man on trap and I still dont know what it does and i must have read it about 20 times.

Cheers in advance the w33man

the best way to learn about various commands is once you read the man pages, if you are still struggleing look up the command online or in google groups and you will usually see a example of how other people use it. thus explanine how and what it does due to context.

as far as scripting books, i havent seen a book on unix scripting, but there are plenty of books on unix shells. IE "Learing the Korn Shell" when reading this book they explane alot of the scripting you can do w/ korn. well at least the logic portions. learning differnt commands is a job most people leave to the man pages.

but if you seriously want to get into unix scripting/programming skip the shell programming and go stright to perl. it can do ALOT and it can do very little. it is an extreamly easy language to learn (IMHO) and the books by oreilly are well... oreilly has made there books absoultly easy to read and even easier to follow (most of the ones i have read anyways).

Start with:
Learning Perl
Mastering Regular Expressions
Learning Perl Objects, references & modules
Programming Perl (use as a referance)
Perl Cookbook (use as a referance)

the first 3 books will get you codeing perl scipts/programs so fast its reduclious and you will feel alot more confident.

the userbase for perl is HUGE. for a user group in your area check out www.pm.org.

Thanx Optimus will look into it !