Need a Good AIX Book

I'm an AIX newby:eek: and need to learn fast (I go on a course in a few week's time but I need to know some stuff now:mad:).

Can anybody recommend a good AIX book please? Not too basic though - I've been in software for many years (8bit/16bit/32bit, etc, Intel/Microsoft/FORTRAN/68000/anything and everything - except UNIX/AIX of course).

Thanks,
Mike.

there is no such dedicated book for AIX but you can download some dumps kind of things from torrents i guesss..
best of luck...

Get yourself a copy of Andreas Siegerts "AIX Survival Guide" - its outdated (covers only AIX up to 4.x) and probably out of print but it still is the only book residing on my desk every day since i purchased it 4 or 5 years ago. Most of the things will not change anyways so it is still fairly accurate even if it doesn't cover virtualization techniques and other advanced features of AIX 5.x. The absolutely best AIX book i ever read.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

Thanks 'Bughunter', that helps a lot - the equipment I'm working on is quite old and runs AIX 4.1.5R2:b:

Edited to add: I just had a look on Amazon - the first reader's review of the AIX Survival Guide is actually rather negative - if you can see it I would be interested to know if you think it is fair? (Before I go ahead and buy the book). Thanks.

Edited again to add: Oh what the heck - I've ordered a copy of the book anyway. Life's too short, etc...:slight_smile:

I suppose you mean the review of "Art25". If this is the case: first off, he is completely wrong in saying

because this book does not tell you at all how to use SMIT - it tells you how things work, IMHO with a nice balance between the painful detail of man-pages and the like on one hand and the broad-brush, "beginner-oriented" attitude of "enter x in input mask y and press the magic key". You will find a lot description about how things work and how they work together.

/philosophical rambling on

Secondly, this "art25" seems to be the typical "wannabe-guru", a character trait not uncommon in the *NIX-culture: i could answer absolutely any question by "go look into the manpage/google/usenet", shrugging it off as it were obvious, regardless of it really being obvious or not. Some have cultivated this attitude to impress upon beginners.

This nonsense (and it *is* nonsense) is just designed to brush the egos of the ones exhibiting this attitude and doesn't help anyone. If one asks me a question he wants a answer, not a sermon about me being cleverer than him. I can and may deny the answer for a variety of reasons, but a simple "no" is ok while adding insult to denial is not.

This is the reason why here, in this forum, this attitude is not very well received and tried to discourage: we are here to help each other, not to belittle each other.

/philosophical rambling off

bakunin

Glad to hear it - thanks for the 'philosophical ramblings' - I look forward to receiving my copy of the book...

Now days the internet is the best book you can get as it is always up-to-dated and the search for something is amazing

I definitely agree:b::b:, but sometimes when I look something up in a book I stumble upon some other useful piece of information that comes in handy at a later date...

It's a few years old now, but I found, 'AIX 5L Administration' by Randal K. Michael to be a decent book.

ISBN:0-07-222255-7

I must disagree!

The internet is a great 'reference' tool, but it's hard to beat a good book if you want to orient yourself to a completely new topic. The career of the author and the reputation of the publisher back up the correctness of the information in a book and a good book should have a clear scope. Which means you should be able to read the synopsis/introduction and have an idea of the topic(s) you will have covered and the depth of knowledge you will have obtained after you've read it through, page-by-page.

It's more difficult to do this on the internet.