named pipes

Hi I am having trouble with a script to export individual schemas to tape from an oracle database. Basicaly I need to export each shema through a pipe with compression and store each shema name in a file with the relevant tape marker.

This may not help you any, but at least it might get some discussion going. Following code exports two schemas, each directly to a compressed disk file. These could then be sent to tape with fbackup.

mknod mypipe p

compress < mypipe > ap.dmp.Z &
exp ap/ap file=mypipe 2> ap.log

compress < mypipe > gl.dmp.Z &
exp gl/gl file=mypipe 2> gl.log

So, are you wanting somehow to send several compressed exported schemas directly to tape, rather than first to disk as above?

yes
I have writen and sql script to go through the dba_objects view and extract all the users with objects and spool the export command to a file which I then execute - not only must it write directly to tape but it must spool the username or schema names to a file and list it in tape marker order.

A tough challenge. Since you are wanting all users that have objects, why not just do a full export of the database? The full export can be ran through compression directly to tape. And this compressed export tape can be used later to import any single schema, as desired.

We have a senario where we often need to restore users objects and most of the time they are the last objects in the dump -- buy buy whole day to restore just 1 300k table so by using this method we can skip to the exact spot on the tape and perform a restore.