MYSQL query search between dates

Just a little help if possible
I have a table with date data, I want to select dates that fall between today and 1 month ago, here's my query

SELECT id, stdate, DATE_SUB(CURDATE(), INTERVAL 1 month) as monthago, CURDATE() as today 
FROM data_table
where (stdate between 'today' and 'monthago') 

But this return nothing, also tried swapping the dates

SELECT id, stdate, DATE_SUB(CURDATE(), INTERVAL 1 month) as monthago, CURDATE() as today 
FROM data_table
where (stdate between 'monthago' and 'today') 

This

FROM data_table

returns the columns without an issue, what am I missing?

Also if I use:

SELECT id, stdate, DATE_SUB(CURDATE(), INTERVAL 1 month) as 'monthago', CURDATE() as 'today'  FROM data_table where ('stdate' between 'monthago' and 'today') 

it listed the entire table regardless of the stdate

Notice how you're using the "columns" here in quotes?

between 'today' and 'monthago')

try doing the same thing when selecting:

select id, 'today', 'monthago', today, monthago
from (
FROM data_table
)

ie: lose the quotes and add nested subquery ..
(if you just lose the quotes, it'll error out "column not found" )

Also, why ask this on a Unix forum? O.o

Thanks for the reply, I tried

from ( 
FROM data_table )

But got:

failed : Every derived table must have its own alias

I have MYSQL running on ubuntu server :slight_smile:

---------- Post updated at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:30 PM ----------

So the only solution I could find was:

SELECT id, stdate  FROM data_table Where stdate > DATE_SUB(CURDATE(), INTERVAL 6 month) AND stdate < CURDATE()

This is an old version of mysql (v4.1.15) so may be the syntax with BETWEEN was incorrect for that version?

A nested query must have an alias, so I added 'X' as the alias in your code:

from ( 
FROM data_table X)

As regards your earlier question, in MySQL and other databases too, there is a difference between single quote (') and backquote (`). I think you meant to use the latter, which is what Ditto was getting at.

I'm an Oracle guy, not very familiar with MYSQL .. :slight_smile: I was thinking his issue was the fact that:

where column = 'today'

is not the same as:

where column = today

if today is some internal function, then you probably shouldn't use single quotes ... if MYSQL uses back quotes ` .. then yeah, sure :slight_smile: but I was making an assumption MYSQL treats single or double quotes as strings.

which would be like trying to match:

where Nov 25, 2014 = "today" ..

as opposed to:
where Nov 25, 2014 = Nov 25, 2014
(ie where date_col = today ) ??

In Oracle it's:

where date_col = sysdate

but that's another story :wink: