Mpxio

Hi All,

I have one question.

I found out that my system setting for mpxio-disable=yes. Sun recommend to change it to mpxio-disable=no and run stmsboot -e command.

But no one can tell will it affect the system or not and the system is sol-10 and using veritas volume manager and attached with EMC storage.

Can someone help me to explain what is mpxio and how it will affect the system.

Thanks a lots.

do you hav multiple pathes to your storage? mpxio is like dmp in veritas vm. you can use only one!

actually he could also use EMC powerpath... but like DukeNuke2 said, you will have to decide which one... but you can only use one...

gP

If you manage this host, I'm a little concerned you're asking that question here :smiley:

Like mentioned above, mpxio is a multipathing solution provided by Sun. I prefer it, I think it's a clean implementation and easy to use. And free!

Unless you're limiting what you want to enable with mpxio, you don't need to modify any files, running `stmsboot -e` will do that for you.

Why are you talking to Sun, and why are they suggesting this? Are you having trouble getting DMP to work properly with your EMC storage?

Giving us some versions of veritas, your HBAs and what storage you have would help. Depending on those answers, you may need to install additional array support libraries and adjust the failover mode on the storage itself (if you're having DMP trouble).

Enabling mpxio will consolidate all of your device paths to a single "virtual" path per unique device. Normally if you have 5 LUNs with 4 paths each, format for example would show 20 devices. With mpxio, it'll only show 5.

If you enable mpxio without taking care to do it safely on an already running system, you could be in for a world of hurt. I've seen odd issues when enabling mpxio, with emc attached storage, on an already configured host with veritas. Changing a 10 minute maintenance into a few hours.

Good luck.