Moving Oracle database

how does one move Oracle database to new OS? Does Oracle need to be the same version as old one?

check the oracle documentation. I suspect if your not changing the architecture you can do a backup/restore.

thanks, but, unfortunately, there is documentation only for newer Oracle versions on their site.

It's never simple if you're leaving it to the Vendor's documentation. Same goes for the app using the database, if you're using one from off the shelf or an outside Vendor. Many Vendors will publish their own "certified" listings for this sort of effort. (There's always at least three tiers to a DB environment; platform/OS, DB and app.)

Oracle publishes their end-point release for each version, along with platform requirements such as OS version requirements, etc. Assuming you're already set with a copy of Oracle for your new target OS, your hardest task would be to migrate the data. You'd want to instantiate the DB (ie, schema, etc), and then you could probably offload the data and reload it via utilities such as SQL*Loader. If not, and you're into risk, you could hope that your older version of Oracle will work in the new environment and maybe squeak by on a tape restore.

Same would go for pretty much every other DB product out there...unless there's consultants involved already. Then it's a matter of revenue stream protection.

Good luck.

what version are you using? Have you tried searching Google? I just did and found online documentation for 8, 9i, and 10g.

Documentatation is still available from Oracle 7 onwards:
Oracle Documentation
See section "Previously Released Oracle Documentation".

However you may be forced to upgrade if your current release is discontinued.

Hi,

If you want to move a instance Oracle to new o.s., use "exp" program to create a file with all structure and data, after you must create a new instance in new o.s. and to use "imp" to import the structure and data to new instance.

..:quimera.