Moving disk partition from Solaris sparc to x86

Hello Gurus,

Im trying to migrate some SAN disks from sparc server to X86 one, and having issues with disks not getting mounted on the X86 server with " not this fstyp error" due to the different partitions lay out between the two OS. I have tried it from sparc to sparc server and it worked, also from X86 to X86 but not cross the way.

I have been searching online with no luck, have anyone come across a way to convert solaris sparc disk layout into X86 one without losing date?

Regards
Al

What kind of FS are you using? vxfs or ufs or zfs?

Thanks for your reply dude2cool,
Sorry I forgot to mention that both servers are using UFS only.

I think you may have to resort to ufsdump combined with ufsrestore to handle this. Test it out before touching production data :).

If you were using veritas FS with CDS(Cross-platform Data Sharing) disks,I think it can handle cross platform migrations.

1 Like

UFS is architecture (endianness precisely) dependent. You need to backup/restore using a generic archive format to achieve what you want.

1 Like

Yes indeed I agree with jlliagre

1 Like

and I agree with dude2cool, ufsdump/ufsrestore should properly handle the endianness change.

By the way, ZFS, while storing its data in the current endianness, can be mounted and used by a machine with a different architecture.

1 Like

Thank you all mates for your replies.
the thing is we are talking about a size of 12 TB in total, no free space to assign on the X86 server to restore to, so I need to use same lun in something like export/import.

The ZFS option would be good to apply on the X86 server, but I dont think there would be a way to preserve the data on the same luns while they are being converted to ZFS.

If this can be done, then I can convert them on the source ( sparc server) then move/map/mount them to the destination ( X86 server), Do you think that would be possible?

Seems the only possible solution, is to backup everything to tape, then re-format the luns on X86 format, then restore back from tape, which will be so time costly off-course.

Regards
Aladdin

You cannot convert UFS to ZFS on-site,an external temporary storage is needed.
In any case, if you care your 12 TB of data, you should already have at least a couple of backups.

Linux might be able to mount sparc UFS.

another option is to emulate sparc solaris in qemu on x86.
but, ufsdump is best way to go.

I would not trust either one of those without extensive testing.

Or as jlliagre posted, restore from the backups that exist if this truly is important data....

1 Like