Moving a logical volume to another one

Hi everybody,
I am quite new in AIX and I want to have an advice on my problem.
I want to move the content of one disk (which has HW problems) to a new one.
I use LVM and the faulty disk is one logical volume.
I understand that if I define a new logical volume (same size) on a new disk, I can use the command cplv to copy the data from the origin LV to the newly created LV.
My question is : what are the complementary operations that I must do before launching cplv and must I stop and unmount the original LV before cplv ?
My disk is 70 GB. How much time will it take to copy ? (This is important because this disk contains all the environments of the developpers.)
Thanks for your help.

or you add a pv of same size to your vg and use migratepv...

I prefer to use a new PV, because if my disk has some HW problems I want to garbagge it and not to keep it in my configuration after the move operation.

So migratepv is your choice! (man migratepv !)

So if I understand well, when the disk is installed, I add it to the VG already containing the bad disk, I launch migratepv, I remove the bad disk from the VG.
Is that right ?
My first question is still pending : before this operation must I unmount the FS that I want to migrate ?

It can be done active... but it is not wise if you have a lot of activity on that PV... choose moment with lesser load... or FS unmounted...
Read the man pages, it can be done with smit/smitty...
The last time I done this was ages ago but I had no issues... and all went fine

Thanks for your answer.
Finally instead to use mibratepv, after adding the new disk to the VG, I have mirrored the VG. So the activity has not been stopped.
Now I'm going to unmirror the VG and then unmount the faulty disk.
Regards.

Actually this is the most accurate way to do it. migratepv works, but it will be considerably slower because it copies one LP after the other.

For admitting that you are a newbie AND STILL finding this out yourself I declare you the AIX Newbie of the Week. Congrats! ;-))

bakunin

Thanks for your help (and your opinion).
My problem is now solved