Move read-only-file

I downloaded a hexeditor.dmg file and then open it from command line
>>hdiutil attach hexeditor.dmg
then
>> cd /Volumns/hexeditor
I see a folder named "hexeditor.app"
I want to use 'mv hexeditor.app /Applications' to move the folder into applications folder, but I get an "read only file system" error. And also I cannot change its permission with "chmod" command.

Anyone knows why??? Please help me... Thanks a lot.

The error is because your trying to move the .app file. You should copy it and not move it to the Applications folder.

try cp and not mv

1 Like

It is not that is an application file. It is because it is on a mounted image and items in a mounted image can not be removed from the mounted image.

1 Like

most applications are actually self contained folders, that have all the contents of the app itself needed to run.

You may need to cp -R or ditto to copy all the contents from the command line. If the app uses an installer, you may not be able to install it from the command line. Not every developer follows Apple's standards *coughlike Adobe*cough.

You can't MOVE files from a DMG. MOVE (mv) means... copy and then delete. You need to COPY (cp) the file to the destination. You might also have to use 'sudo' depending on where you are putting the file.