Move files from one directory to another in chunks

All,

I have an application that is not working properly and the company is 'in the process' of fixing it. In the meantime, I want to write a bash script work-around. However, what I thought was going to be simple is seemingly not.

Need:

• Move files from one directory to another in chunks.

If I move all the files at once the system resources are heavily consumed and the application suffers. The source directory ($dir1) will contain any number of files (100's or 1000's) at any given time. So, I'd like to do something like:

if [ "$(ls -A $dir1) ]; then

find $dir1 -maxdepth 1 -type f > output.txt

<loop through output.txt moving x amount of files at a time until directory empty>

mv `head -100 output.txt` $dir2

else

echo "no files to move.."

fi

I know I can accomplish what I need with a brute force creation of many files to read from but there must be a more sophisticated way to do it.

Is there way to drop the list of files into an array and do something like:

mv $files[1-100] $dir2
mv $files[101-200] $dir2

I need to find a usable number of files to move at a time (could be 100, 5000, 10000) while not knowing how many files could be in $dir1 at any given time.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Herb

Hi, why dont you try in for loop. with some sleep time enabled. change the SOURCE_DIR and DESTINATION_DIR values according to your source and destination folder

#!/bin/bash
SOURCE_DIR="/tmp/source"
DESTINATION_DIR="/tmp/destination"

cd ${SOURCE_DIR}
for FileName in *
do
	echo "Moving the File : ${FileName}"
	mv ${FileName} ${DESTINATION_DIR}
	sleep 1
done
1 Like

You could be simpler with xargs and a call to another mini-script. A starter might be something like:-

$ cat my_mover.sh
#!/bin/bash
#my_mover.sh script actually does the work

target_dir=$1                 # Grab the target directory
shift                         # Chop off the target directory to just leave all the files listed

mv $@ $target_dir             # Take all arguments and move them to the target directory
sleep 1

You can then run something like this:-

find $dir1 -maxdepth 1 -type f | xargs -n 100 $dir2 my_mover.sh

This will move 100 files at a time (specified by the xargs parameter after -n )

I hope that this helps,
Robin

1 Like

Thank you @itkamaraj and @rbatte1 for your replies.

I will test with your suggestions and see what makes the most sense.

Thanks again,

HB