Mounting Tape Drive

Sorry I posted it in wrong forum first.

OK, I'm new to Unix (but an IT since DOS 6.2 era) Long story short I'm trying to help a friend who has failing Unix system which is perhaps 16 years old with SCO Openserver 3.4v4.2 with DDS90 Tape where they backup their data. I've setup a Dell Precision 390 with Unix 5.0.7 HW version and installed a Adaptec AHA-2940AU PCI card (on SCSI default ID 7) with Seagate Scorpion STD224000N Tape Drive (on SCSI ID 6). Question is how do I find the tape and how do I mount it so I can restore the data from the old machine to this.
Please help.
Thanks

Run:

mkdev tape

The Adaptec controller is referred to as 'alad'

---------- Post updated at 06:32 AM ---------- Previous update was at 06:25 AM ----------

If the data on the backup tape is in tar format, then

tar xv8 

should extract the data from the default tape drive.
The list of tar devices is maintained in /etc/default/tar.
The 'tape' command can be used to display the status of the drive.

upon choosing "alad", it ask following:

• Which 'alad' SCSI host adapter supports this device? Select 0-4

• What SCSI Bus is this device attached to? Press <Return> to use the default:0 Select 0-n,

• What is the Target ID for this device? Select 0-15

• What is the LUN of this device? Press <Return> to use the default:0 Select 0-7

I've attached the images of the system post and boot.

PLEASE PLEASE HELP

Thanks

Host adapter 0, it is the first and only host adapter in the computer.
Scsi bus is 0, this is only a single channel host adapter.
Target Id is 6 (the tape drive)
LUN is 0; as far as I know there have been no implementations of devices with logical unit numbers.
5.0.7 does not have automatic hardware recognition, so the host adapter does not show in the initial boot hardware list until the device driver for the host adapter (alad) is compiled into the kernel; which will happen during the running of 'mkdev tape'.

Does attached screenshot means Tape Drive is installed?
Please confirm.

Thanks so much man.

Tape Status shows ready and rewinded :slight_smile:

If this is working "jgt", I owe you for sure
More help and sorry for being a pest. 2 more things I need on this unit.
1 - I want to install a Parallel printer OKi Microline 521 (9 pin) to this machine. How do I add the printer? Their website has no Unix driver when I looked up!!

2 - I want to add terminal server to it so 2 workstation can login to it. They have EQUINOX ELS-II 16 PORT TERMINAL SERVER and also Equinox PM16-RJ Port Module. So whichever work. Have the PCI card to install with BNC and Terminal Server serial connection.

I'm again sorry for the troubles and picking your brains for it...

And Thanks. Let me know how can I repay you

Printer.
Run 'mkdev parallel'
You will need to know the i/o port (378/278) and the irq (7/5), which you can get from the CMOS, or the jumper settings on the parallel card.
reboot.
Run scoadmin-->printers-->4 printer management.
Add a local printer, give it a queue name, select the model either dumb, or crnlmap and select the device /dev/lp or /dev/lp0 probably.
The crnlmap driver will add a carriage return to every line feed in the printer file. Alternatively, you can change the configuration of the printer to add convert LF to CRLF.

Terminal Server.
I have never installed this particular device.
Install the hardware.
The associated software will either install using 'custom' or have its own installation routine.
The 'custom' program expects the files to be named VOL.000.000, VOL.000.001 etc.
First, start 'custom', either by entering custom at the # prompt, or starting 'scoadmin' and selecting software.
Select install new software, and select either diskette or cdrom for the media. If this works you will only need to answer whatever questions the install program asks.
If you get a message to the effect that the media is incorrect then the software has its own installation.
Very likely, you will copy the media to a temporary location, where you will run the install program (typically ./setup, or ./install.sh)

Once that is installed, you will then need to configure the ports on the terminal server: baud rate, parity, bits, and whether a terminal or printer is attached.

Thanks for all your help.
I got it all EXCEPT for the terminal server which is why holding everything back. So for the Equinox, I don't have any CD, software or driver. I called and email Avoccent/Emerson (Equinox been bought by) and even they don't have anything to support that device. Although it look promising with all those connections and connected with 3Com Fast EtherLink XL getting detected as a network card by itself, hoping something simple would make it work...
Anyways, I then bought a Digi PortServer TS 8, connected to that 3Com card ethernet port and ran the software - however that Digi PortServer Software is not detecting the Digi PortServer at all!!!
Don't know what to do now. Perhaps if you know of any other way of connecting 5 machines to this Unix system with any Port Server device or anything I'm willing to get/adopt.
Please help
Thanks

You don't need the port server at all.
If the workstations are recent Windows machines, they will have a network card. Download and install putty. http://www.putty.org/
The workstations can connect through the local area network. If the workstations are remote, then connect the SCO system to the internet or a VPN, and have the workstations connect through either of these methods.