mounting an external scsi tape drive

hi-

I just installed a quad gigaswift ethernet scsi card to my sunblade 150. I checked with the docs, and got all of the required drivers on the box. Now, I'm trying to mount an external scsi tape drive with no luck. I set the scsi address on the external drive to 0. Here's what I'm coming up with.

# mount -F autofs /dev/rmt/0 /tape
# tar -tvf /dev/rmt/0
/dev/rmt/0: directory not found

I believe my syntax is correct. Any input is appreciated.

ECB

hmmmm, i don't think there is a possibility to create a filesystem on a tapedrive..... you do not need to mount a tape drive, just put your tape into the drive and wait ... when he has rewinded the tape type your:
tar tf /dev/rmt/0
to get the taple of contense.....

gP

Thanks pressy. I changed the address on my external scsi drive to 4 to read tapes drives. Will give your reccomendation a shot.

ECB

Still having the same problem. Keep getting dev/rmt/0 not found. tried mt -f dev/rmt/0. looked in the dev/rmt folder, didn't see any drive numbers. Tried rebooting with a boot -r option with no results.

hmm... what type of drive are you using? a sun drive or 3rd partie?

I'm using a Sun tape drive. No nomenclature listed, except for "DDS-4" on the front. Didn't get far with a part number search as well.

at the ok prompt, I tried:

show-nets, and didn't see my any scsi listings,

I did a probe-scsi-all

/pci@1f,0/pci@5/pci@2/scsi@2,1

So I interpret that as the adapter is there, but no driver. I grabbed the CD, installed the drivers, and am going to try again.

going to try a boot -r next.

ECB

nope... thats only the scsi controller the obp is testing. if you don't see the tape when you type probe-scsi-all, make sure it is plugged in correctly. you can see every drive in that probe, whether you have solaris driver or not...

gP

OK. It's only worked once. I'm going to place the card in another PCI slot and try again.

Finally got it to work. Dug out the "tapes" command. Thanks Pressy.

try the following commands

devfsadm

mt -f /dev/rmt/0 status

if your not sure on which target , try 1 instead of 0

mt -f /dev/rmt/1 status