Mounting a file system

Good Evening,

I have a Solaris 9 Sunblade 2500 that has Wind River Tornado 2.2 that I need to connect to a license server. I'm assuming I need to mount the file system to the server first- correct?

The license server is just a Windows 10 PC which I will also be using as a NAS. These two machines are plugged into a switch- Nothing more has been done.

I found an Oracle installation guide that mentions vfstab but nothing additional. Is it simply a matter of adding an entry to vfstab?

Borrowing the syntax of what's in there already,

Do I enter Bell:/mnt/pools/A/A0/Bell - /Bell nfs - yes soft,bg

Bell being the Windows 10 machine's name. Everything else just matches other entries. Do I have to create a directory or add anything else anywhere?

Thanks for any help!

I wonder how a mount should connect to a license server.
Is the license server a flexlm/lmgrd?

Be sure /Bell directory exists
Then check it can find Bell by using ping etc...
If not it has to be added in /etc/hosts file

If the license server is flexlm/lmgrd as asked by @MadeInGermany then you do not need to mount any filessytems. The communication between client and license server is all done over the LAN.

Thanks..

Yes its FlexLM so as I understand, I simply need to see if I can ping then? OK I'll try today.

Since I do want to also use it as a NAS I I'll still mount the fs

If I understand correctly, I'll:
create the Bell directory at root
ping the Windows 10 machine
check etc/hosts if it doesn't ping. I know it is not in there even without checking- I built Bell recently. Sounds like I should do this even before ping- right? Unless there is some way it might ping without it?

Thanks again!

You need Bell's IP...

Try ping bell first.
If it says "unknown host" then ping the IP address. If that works, you can map the IP address to a hostname in /etc/hosts. Then ping bell will work.

Good Evening..

Made some progress. Added Bell to hosts and can ping Bell now

However, I cannot navigate to it

I put a Bell directory on Bell- so its c:\Bell
I also put a Bell directory ion the Solaris machine /Bell

Entered this in vfstab:

Bell:/mnt/pools/A/A0/Bell - /Bell nfs - yes soft,bg

When I look in /mnt on the Solaris machine, I do not see anything in there, not even a pools directory. Does that matter?

Thanks for the help!

the /Bell directory mentioned is on the the box mounting the file system not the other way round, in other words on your sun blade in /bell you would have seen the same content as in Bell:/mnt/pools/A/A0/Bell
Or I am missing something : where is actually /mnt/pools/A/A0/Bell?
I am not sure using a Win10 PC a good choice for a NAS, you will be better off buying the cheapest model of Synology and exporting to both as it is a unix based system and integrates many translation tools or "gateways" to microsoft world, its not obvious from windows and vice versa dealing with users/UIS and their perms/privileges...

Anyway, NAS is Network Attached Storage with 'Network' being the operative word. That means that these two boxes need to talk the same protocol and, typically, Unix is alien to Windows, and Windows is alien to Unix. Therefore you either need to install Samba on the Unix box so that Windows understands it, or install 'Unix services for Windows' on the Windows box so that Unix understands it. The communication will either be using NFS protocol or Samba protocol. Which is it to be and you need to check the systems have the required prerequisites to talk that protocol to the other box.

This isn't a direct raw storage connection such as fibre channel or iSCSI.

Well.. there are various other machines on the switch that this will be on; Windows XP, 7, 10, Linux, some other devices with IPs, so Windows 10 seemed as good as anything. Also, the hardware was free and available including 2- 3T HDDs So I figured I'd make it an admin PC, license server, and backup to the existing NAS.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.