Mount old zfs filesystem

Hey all,

I have a machine with 16 drive slots. Two of the drives have a ZFS mirror of the operating system, the other 14 contain the storage raidz.

So, after installing Opensolaris on the OS drives, how can I remount the storage raid?

TIA

This should tell you what zpools are available to import...

zpool import -d /dev/dsk

Just played with zpool import, but I get the error:

root@obelix:/dev/scsi/changer# zpool import -a
cannot import 'storage': pool is formatted using a newer ZFS version

Which surprises me a bit, as the pool was created with Solaris 10, while I am now running OpenSolaris 2009.06 :frowning:

You have to import the filesystems.

zpool import poolname

after you have them pools imported you just need to issue this command.

zfs mount -a

that should get all of your old zfs filesystems there.

I'm not convinced sharing zfs pools between Solaris 10 and OpenSolaris is a good idea. They are different OS branches and their pool and zfs support isn't necessarily aligned.

Well, I have 2 TB of data in this pool and want to use it.

Then use the same OS that created it.

You can import and upgrade the pool, the problem with this is that you won't be able to use it on Solaris 10 anymore if you upgrade the pool.

As Jlliagre indicated, it might not be the most stable of configurations if you do not upgrade the on disk format of the pool.

The on disk format for 2009.06 is older than the Solaris 10 U8 format, so you would need to update the OpenSolaris system using the dev repository to be able to use the pool if using U8 or quuivalent patches.

Yeah, I found some posting in a mailing list with a solution upgrading from production to devel, which is no option here.

Curios, why OpenSolaris' version is older than the one Solaris 10 uses... :confused:

Jiliagre, a simple "I don't know how to do that" had been a better answer.

Because, as I wrote, they are different branches with different update/release/integration schedules.

It won't. I was actually aware of the reason why it wasn't working but I would never have recommended the "fix" you have read elsewhere because you are running on a production environment and seem to lack backups.
What my reply was meaning is there is no commitment the on-disk format used by a given pool or zfs version number on OpenSolaris will be compatible with the very same pool or zfs version number when implemented later on Solaris 10.
The bottom line is I would never recommend hacking a supported system when that means turning it into an unsupported configuration.

Thou shalt be forgiven :wink:

Your one-single-sentence-answer was just a bit offending to someone who wants to rescue/access the data.

Got it. Sorry for being too direct. I also believe I was posting from my telephone which doesn't help elaborating answers ...