More than 1 UID 0

Hi,

Can any one please tell what are the risks of having more than one users having UID 0 (root)?

Thanks
Naveed

This poses a HUGE security risk. If there is a requirement for another user to perform tasks as root, look at sudo.
My 2 cents.

Hi,
Go through this link
[Chapter 4] Users, Groups, and the Superuser

Regards,
Mayur

Can you please tell what are real threats and security risks for assigning root UID 0 to more than 1 person? how can we convince system admin to remove such rights are use SU for super user tasks.

Thanks for your reply

1) auditing
2) very dangerous to be root all of the time
3) use su
4) use sudo - even better in some cases
5) use roles if available.
6) if you need a proof of concept create an account for me on your system with uid 0. I will show you in 2 seconds why it it bad. :wink:

1 Like

The real threat is lack of accountability (who wiped out the hard disk?) and a diminished audit trail (no way to prove which of the users with id of 0 did it.)

:smiley:

There is not that much more risk than having a user with uid 0 in the first place ...

Instead of having one user account to worry about being hacked, you have two. The fewer the users with UID 0, the better. In the MainFrame world, they have a semi-UNIX environment and all our MF admins all had UIDs of 0 there because it was "easier". Please don't create more than one user with UID of 0. If nothing else, it is a terrible practice to get into.

thanks guys :slight_smile: