Monitoring software on IBM AIX

Hi,
I am looking for monitoring software like Zabbix, to run it on AIX server. I have many problems with Zabbix and MySQL installation on AIX. I dont have IBM XL C/C++ compiler. Has anyone know similar solution like Zabbix that works on IBM AIX?

You want to run the server or the client/agent on AIX?

Zaxxon, I want to run server.

Sorry, I don't know any. Most monitoring solutions run on Linux like Nagios, Icinga, Groundwork, etc. or on Windows. IBMPower resources are may be too expensive just for a monitoring server.

Maybe you get lucky compiling/installing one with the GNU packages you can get here:

AIX Open Source Packages | Main / AIX Open Source Packages

There is also gcc and much much more.

Update:
There is even a completely compiled Nagios 4.1 package collection.

Too bad :(. Maybe I will try Nagios. I know perlz.org it is very helpful for AIX admins.

If you have fun coding and enough time or a helping hand, you could also write a monitoring yourself. We did some years ago using shell and perl, since HP Open View was so bad on AIX (agent).

You do not need to compile MySQL at all. You can download the "Community Server" version 5.0.91 from MySQL Download Archives for AIX. and use that.

I hope this helps.

Anyways, i suggest yo take a look into LPAR2RRD, which is perhaps a better monitoring tool than Zabbix for AIX.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

Bakunin my problem is with MySQL client librarys, simple my complier dosent see this library and few others. I have many problems with librarys in IBM AIX.
Thank you fo LPAR2RRD proposition.

---------- Post updated at 03:09 AM ---------- Previous update was at 02:24 AM ----------

Zaxxon, Bakunin maybe you will know solution for my problem.
When I compile Zabbix Server with MySQL, compiler crash with error:

checking for mysql_config... /install/mysql-connector-c-6.0.2-aix5.3-powerpc-32bit/bin/mysql_config
checking for main in -l... no
configure: error: Not found mysqlclient library

I downloaded MySQL Connector from MySQL site. I have these libs:
libmysql.so libmysqlclient.a libmysqlclient.so libmysqlclient_r.so

I hold them in /usr/local/lib

command:

./mysql_config --libs
Output:
-L/usr/local/lib -lmysql -lpthread

This looks like a case of unset (or wrongly set) LIBPATH variable. Depending on the tool(s) you use it might be necessary to set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH as well (to the same value as LIBPATH ).

I hope this helps.

bakunin

My paths:

bash-4.2# echo $LIBPATH
/opt/freeware/lib:/opt/freeware/lib64:/usr/ccs/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/lib
bash-4.2# echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
/opt/freeware/lib:/opt/freeware/lib64:/usr/ccs/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/lib

I solved the problem by installing Zabbix with PostgreSQL

Thanks for the follow-up. I mark this thread as solved.

bakunin