monitor daily file uploads

hey all,

i am a shell scripting n00b so bear with me. i got a server that every night uploads one file to a remote server. the file is prodserver_date_time.

i would like to make a script, run by root on a daily cron job. i want it to determine if the file was received or not. no md5 checks, or reasons why it failed. pretty much if the file was received i want a flag saying so, or if nothing was received a flag saying so. then it will email a couple of people with that result.

thanks for any help you can provide --

jon

if running the check script on the local server, redirect the automated ftp messages to a log file and grep out the line "221-You have transferred 4859 bytes in 1 files." then process as appropriate ...

if running the check script on the remote server, have it check the receiving directory for the file after a scheduled ftp run and process as appropriate ...

good luck!

well the files are stored on the local server, the files are uploaded through a scheduled uploader. i have no way of receiving ftp messages. i like to process and run after the backup occured but dont know how to go forward with that.