Modifying serial printers device

I am trying to change one of my serial printers from /dev/ttyr002 to /dev/ttyr014:

lpstat -s
device for check3: /dev/ttyr002  
device for check4: /dev/ttyr002  

I changed the tty setting for check3 in:

/etc/printcap
/var/spool/lp/admins/lp/printers/check3

to /dev/ttyr014
Then I get:

lpstat -s
device for check3: /dev/ttyr014  
device for check4: /dev/ttyr002 

Then when I test a print

cal | lp -d check3

It still prints to the /dev/ttyr002 printer. What am I missing?

These look like Digiboard terminal names. Check to see if the printer device has moved using "mpi".

Actually they are RIO remote serial boxes. Its a card in the server that they plug into and they are little boxes with 8 serial ports on them. I already used the config.rio utility to map the port I want to the ttyr014. I just can't figure out how to tell SCO that check3 should point to ttyr014 instead of ttyr002.

No "mpi" here

Try:
scoadmin->printers->printer_manager.
Arrow down to check3, press the space bar to mark the line, then tab back to the top to settings and arrow down to connection, change the device to /dev/tty4014 and save.

Well, that def changed the dev to /dev/ttyr014 (verified with a lpstat -s). I will have to verify that it is going to the correct printer tomorrow when I get back in the office. NOW, can you tell me what I missed when trying to do that manually? What file did scoadmin change?:b::wall:

The reason I need to know is because not all of the printers that I am planning on changing are Local. scoadmin will not let you change dev's on remote printers... unless you find the file and change it with vi.

---------- Post updated 03-28-12 at 08:04 AM ---------- Previous update was 03-27-12 at 08:58 PM ----------

Well, even after using scoadmin to make the tty change, it still prints to the wrong tty. Do I need to do a lpshut -> lpstart?

---------- Post updated at 12:58 PM ---------- Previous update was at 08:04 AM ----------

Nevermind lpshut, lpsched did not help.

---------- Post updated at 02:14 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:58 PM ----------

***SOLVED***

PREVIOUS admin had labeled the RIO's backwards so sticker port 8 was actually port 1... etc...

Thanks for help.

BTW, you can edit the files manually. You just have to do a lpstop , lpsched after.:smiley: