mksysb issue

Hi, guys

I have experience in UNIX, but more in hpux, have done an mksysb in an Aix server 5.3, and then restore in other server with same model, everithing fine but no TCP/IP configuration and hostname its like "localhost" after the restore. It's something wrong? I've change the configuration, but other problem to face, ping the server but can't connect to him by telnet. Some help its needed :)?

Thanks for all.

Hi,
Seems nobody helps me till now, but I really need to understand what's happened. That's normal make the TCP/IP configuration, after takes an recover by mksysb tape?

Thanks for all?

You probably have "Recover Devices" set to "no", or it is just defaulting to "no". When you restore a mksysb to different hardware, the network configuration does not restore automatically. You have to specify it to do so. If you restore a mksysb to the same hardware it came from, then restoring the network configuration should default to "yes" and when it reboots, the network should be ready to go.

Right now, if you do "smitty mktcpip" you can manually configure the network settings to what you want them to be.

.... make sure you use "smitty tcpip" to bring down the old network config, if there is one. The "ifconfig" does NOT update the ODM. "smitty tcpip" actually does a "chdev" which does update the ODM so your settings will be able to survive a reboot.

You're right kah00na I don't choose the option "Recover Devices".
Thanks for all.

That took me forever to figure out when I was messing with mksysb restores alot.