mkdvd mkcd mksysb from file fails

Hello Folks,Having some problems moving an old mksysb backup to a file image.data to DVD-RAM1) From mkdvd if i do a new backup it works fineBUT2) From mkdvd if I do fails:+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+| Use an existing mksysb image? || || Move cursor to desired item and press Enter. || || 1 yes || 2 no |YES[/red] +--------------------------------------------------------------------------+ | DVD backup media format? | | | | Move cursor to desired item and press Enter. | | | | 1 ISO9660 (CD format) | | 2 UDF (Universal Disk Format) | |

|[COLOR=red]1 ISO9660 \(CD format\)[/red]                            Back Up This System to ISO9660 DVDType or select values in entry fields.Press Enter AFTER making all desired changes.                                                        [Entry Fields]  DVD-R or DVD-RAM Device                            [/dev/cd0]* Location of existing mksysb image                  [/db2/SPR/log_dir/image.data]  File system to store DVD file structure            []     \(If blank, the file system       will be created for you.\)  File system to store final DVD images              []     \(If blank, the file system       will be created for you.\)  If file systems are being created:    Volume Group for created file systems            [rootvg]  Advanced Customization Options:  Do you want the DVD to be bootable?                 yes  Remove final images after creating DVD?             yes  Create the DVD now?                                 yes  Install bundle file                                []  File with list of packages to copy to DVD          []  Location of packages to copy to DVD                []  Customization script                               []  User supplied bosinst.data file                    []  Debug output?                                       no  User supplied image.data file                      [/db2/SPR/log_dir/image.data]

[COLOR=red]Command: failed stdout: yes stderr: noBefore command completion, additional instructions may appear below.Initializing mkcd log: /var/adm/ras/mkcd.log...Verifying command parameters...0512-325 mkcd: The user supplied mksysb image: /db2/SPR/log_dir/image.data/is not a valid mksysb image.How to solve this

# cd /db2/SPR/log_dir# lsEPS NODE0000 image.data trans# ls -latotal 4899520drwxr-xr-x 5 root system 256 Apr 12 16:54 .drwxr-xr-x 10 212 225 256 Feb 13 2008 ..drwxr-xr-x 3 root system 256 Feb 26 07:48 EPSdrwxr-x--- 2 212 225 4096 Mar 19 02:29 NODE0000-rw-r--r-- 1 root system 2508544000 Mar 28 23:47 image.datadrwxr-xr-x 5 root system 4096 Mar 08 01:10 trans#

read this document alsohttp://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=176265

When I make a new/fresh backup to DVD using mkdvd it works but when i try to specify the image file it doesn't work.

Anyone facing the same problem ?

Initializing mkcd log: /var/adm/ras/mkcd.log...Verifying command parameters...
0512-325 mkcd: The user supplied mksysb image: /db2/SPR/log_dir/image.data/is not a valid mksysb image

Not a VALID MKSYSB IMAGE ?

Could you please try to format your posts to achieve some readability? And could you please phrase your question in a coherent sentence instead of lumping together some screen-output without so much formatting as some line breaks to structure it and leave it to us to figure out what belongs what?

While i believe you might have a valid question up to now your posts are close to spam because of the way they are presented and i am quite disinclined in trying to understand much less answering a question so poorly presented.

(and, btw.: there is a "code"-tag for screen output)

Thanks for your consideration.

bakunin

Thanks for the advice. You are absolutely right about the format. I don't understand why when I posted the format was ruined ?!

Perhaps, our Networking team was using some sort of filtering software like websense....

apologies...

Now, going back to the main topic.

Initializing mkcd log: /var/adm/ras/mkcd.log...Verifying command parameters...

0512-325 mkcd: The user supplied mksysb image: /db2/SPR/log_dir/image.data/is not a valid mksysb image

Not valid mksysb image.. Although I can see all the files..

Thanks

Assuming that "NODE0000" is the previously generated mksysb file, you should define # smitty mkdvd field:

"Location of existing mksysb image"

With:

/db2/SPR/log_dir/NODE0000

HTH...

Pedro Principeza.

I think the MKSYSB image was corrupt that's why it was unable to find it in the directory.

Now, I have another question:

If I take mksysb on a file --> image.data

1) How can I make this image.data copied to CD/DVD and make the CD/DVD bootable ( I have DVD RW on another machine )

2) Will this recovery method work ?
Suppose my system crashes. I will install AIX 6.1 (new installation)
NFS mount to the directory where image.data is located.
Make a restore..

will this work ?

---------

mkdvd on NFS // or burn the image on the DVD

Doing a Mksysb on DVD Please help ! - LinuxQuestions.org

i made a mksysb of my OS on a file image.data

when I restore this file image.data ( all the os ) on the same machine, it corrupts the image.data file on AIX 6.1

mkdvd -d /dev/cd0 -m /fullpath_to_mksysb_image

From one system to other

smitty mkdvd
use an existing mksysb image? --> no
Select format
-->leave DVD-R or DVD-RAM Device blank
-->fill in the File System to store mksysb image to, etc.
-->create the DVD now --> NO.
-->save images --> yes
After the image is created on your machine:

1. FTP it to the server with the DVD burner
  2. Run smitty mkdvd
    --> an existing image YES.

The problem I am facing is when I am trying to restore files or directories from the image.data on the server.

Here is what I did:

1) made mksysb on a file called image.data on the location /whatever/image.data on host ABC

2) on the same host ABC, i tried to restore some files from the OS backup which i made on the location /whatever/image.data

when I do this or restore the entire backup (from the same host to same host) my backup gets corrupted..

anyone faced this problem...

Check here
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/7138105/Creating-a-mksysb-backup-to-DVD-in-AIX-V5-and-V6
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=268146

SEE HERE FOR THE SOLUTION: