Mix LDAP and LOCAL user on AIX

Hello,

I'm currently trying to mix local and LDAP users on an AIX 7.1.
I've triied many things.
My LDAP Server in on a CentOS - OpenLDAP (which works fine with linux).
I'm currently stuck on AIX at how to declare LDAP AND Local users.
Here's what i did :

/usr/sbin/mksecldap -c  -h 'ldap03' -a 'cn=admin,o=other,c=fr' -p 'secret' -S 'RFC2307'
chsec -f /etc/security/user -s default -a SYSTEM='compat or LDAP'

I also triied

chsec -f /etc/security/user -s default -a SYSTEM='compat or LDAP' 
chsec -f /etc/security/user -s default -a registry='LDAP'

But like this, i can't connect on my local users but i can connect to LDAP user with ssh and while connected to my AIX.

With the current configuration, i'm able to login to local and LDAP users BUT while trying throught ssh, i get "Permission denied, please try again." error

ls-secldapclntd
ldapservers=ldap03
current ldapserver=ldap03
ldapport=389
active connections=1
ldapversion=3
usercachesize=1000
usercacheused=3
groupcachesize=100
groupcacheused=1
usercachetimeout=300
groupcachetimeout=300
heartbeat interval=300
numberofthread=10
connectionsperserver=10
authtype=LDAP_AUTH
searchmode=ALL
defaultentrylocation=LDAP
ldaptimeout=60
serverschematype=RFC2307
userbasedn=ou=aix_users,ou=other,o=other,c=fr
groupbasedn=ou=groupes,ou=other,o=other,c=fr
userobjectclass=posixaccount,account,shadowaccount
groupobjectclass=posixgroup

afaiu users are there, both local and LDAP, you can login using both types of users using standard AIX tools/procedures, such as "normal" login, telnet, ftp, but you receive some error trying to open ssh session. Am I right?

Do you have problems opening an SSH session with an LDAP user or with a local AIX user or with both types of users?

Currently here's whats going on :

Connection      
su to local user         Works                   
su to LDAP user      Works but can't use chuser/rmuser and all user commands (like sudo -l with a LDAP user)         
ssh to local user       Works                   
ssh to LDAP user    Permission denied, please try again. (Like when you type a wrong passwd)

What i would like to do :

Connection      
su to LDAP user      Works
ssh to LDAP user   Works
mkuser                  Creates local user
rmuser                   Delete local user
chuser                   Changes local user
lsuser                    List local and LDAP user
mkuser/rmuser/chuser -R LDAP works but my LDAP server will block this

In fact i would like AIX users works like Linux users (at least it works like this on my Linux servers)

Hi,

here are some hints:

When you change the default-Stanza to LDAP

/etc/security/user
default:
        admin = false
        login = true
        SYSTEM = "LDAP"
        registry = LDAP

you have to specify for all local (already existing) users SYSTEM = "files" and registry = files - or e.g. the login process will search them on the LDAP-Server.

If LDAP is the default you need to specify that a user should create or exists locally:

mkuser [-R files] SYSTEM='files' registry='files' testuser
rmuser -R files testuser
passwd -R files testuser
lsuser -R files -a SYSTEM registry ALL

Regards

Ok, first things first.

a) for ease - become root/su and verify with id

michael@x071:[/home/michael]id
uid=0(root) gid=0(system) groups=0(system),2(bin),3(sys),7(security),8(cron),10(audit),11(lp),13(dbsysadm),207(idsldap)

b) make sure root is local, i.e., not LDAP administered (system and registry settings)

michael@x071:[/home/michael]grep -p root: /etc/security/user
root:
        admin = true
        SYSTEM = "compat"
        registry = files
        account_locked = false
        dictionlist = /etc/security/aixpert/dictionary/English
        login = false
        rlogin = false
        loginretries = 0

c) check your current defaults for SYSTEM and registry

michael@x071:[/home/michael]rity/user | egrep "SYSTEM|registry"                <
*               Possible values: SYSTEM,NONE,token;username.
*                       SYSTEM  : Describes normal password authentication in
*                                 an authentication grammar.  See SYSTEM 
*                               auth1 = SYSTEM,mylogin;mary
* SYSTEM        Describes Version 4 authentication requirements.  This 
*               SYSTEM grammar manual pages. 
*                       SYSTEM = "DCE OR DCE[UNAVAIL] AND compat" 
* registry      Describes where this user is administered.  It is used
        auth1 = SYSTEM
        SYSTEM = "compat"

d) notice in the comments the example for SYSTEM way back when (1995ish) when DCE was more popular. I will rephrase this:

if (DCE authentication succeeds)
 then authentication successful;
if (DCE not available AND compat authentication succeeds)
 then authentication successful;

In other words, "compat" is only used when DCE is unavailable. Yours should substitute DCE with LDAP.

e) From memory (i.e., without additional testing) I cannot say exactly what registry = LDAP is doing. But I expect, not what you expect. Maybe if you have added the AIX schema into your CentOS LDAP server it might work. But since mkuser/chuser/etc -R LDAP is not working I expect the LDAP server is refusing because it does not have the AIX (LDIF) schema for all the attributes in /etc/security/user (to name just one of the registry 'files').
I suggest returning "registry = files" as the default setting.

chsec -f /etc/security/user -s default -a registry=files'

f) For users, rather account names, that must be local add at least "SYSTEM=compat" to the user, e.g., for michael

michael@x071:[/home/michael]chuser SYSTEM=compat michael
michael@x071:[/home/michael]grep -p michael: /etc/security/user | egrep "SYSTEM>
        SYSTEM = "compat"

Other stuff) - back from 2000 when I designed the AIX security curriculum.
The key two attributes for Identification (aka username) and Authentication (aka password verification) are auth1 and SYSTEM . This is easy to delegate to an external I&A service, e.g., LDAP, DCE or kerberos server.
The third /etc/security/user attribute is registry - and, with no access to program code, design documents, etc. to verify it I have always understood this to be where to look for additional information about a user that is not uid/gid to username/groupname lookup (and v.v.). In a literal sense I take this to mean - when registry=LDAP (as is your case) to not even look in /etc/passwd for my HOME directory or default shell (for the RFC2307 attributes that any UNIX oriented LDAP server should have).
You might be able to test this by changing the home directory of a user using both -R files and -R LDAP . If you do, please post results and expand my understanding!

Thanks for your reply,
I've already triied this, it's not a suitable solution as we may create local and LDAP users anytime. What could be perfect is something like :

/etc/security/user
default:
        admin = false
        login = true
        SYSTEM = "compat or LDAP" <-- this work
        registry = files or LDAP <-- Will not work of course, registry can only accept 1 parameter

I really want to stay with the default behavior:
all user operations will be local and if they can't be performed locally, they will try the LDAP.
Example

if i loggin to test user, my AIX should search locally, if it doesn't find anything, it'll try on LDAP

---------- Post updated at 07:13 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:01 AM ----------

Thanks for your reply,

a) b) I'm root

# id
uid=0(root) gid=0(system) groups=2(bin),3(sys),7(security),8(cron),10(audit),11(lp),229(idsldap),15(dbsysadm)

# lsuser -a registry SYSTEM root
root registry=files SYSTEM=compat

c) My defaults

# lssec -f /etc/security/user -s default -a registry
default registry=LDAP

# lssec -f /etc/security/user -s default -a SYSTEM
default SYSTEM="compat or LDAP"

e) registry = LDAP
This does not really do what i want as when you mkuser a new user, his registry will be on LDAP by default, and i want it to be files by default.

f) For users, rather account names, that must be local add at least "SYSTEM=compat" to the user, e.g., for michael
It's not something that i would like to as as we have a large number of accounts and they are not all the same depending on the server. It would be a big work to declare the registry and SYSTEM parameters of our local users.

Other stuff) I understood that registry is where to look for user informations and security files.
If you declare registry to LDAP, AIX will look for the user's files (passwd, group, shadow) on the LDAP, even if the user has SYSTEM = compat.
Here's an example:
Conditions : SYSTEM = compat, registry = LDAP

mkuser test
passwd test
Changing password for "test"
User "test" does not exist.
Error changing password for "test".

grep test /etc/passwd 
test:*:210:1::/home/test:/usr/bin/ksh

Now the same user test with registry = files

# lsuser test
test id=210 pgrp=staff groups=staff home=/home/test shell=/usr/bin/ksh login=true su=true rlogin=true daemon=true admin=false sugroups=ALL 
admgroups= tpath=nosak ttys=ALL expires=0 auth1=SYSTEM auth2=NONE umask=22 registry=files SYSTEM=compat logintimes= loginretries=0 
pwdwarntime=0 account_locked=false minage=0 maxage=0 maxexpired=-1 minalpha=0 minloweralpha=0 minupperalpha=0 minother=0 mindigit=0 
minspecialchar=0 mindiff=0 maxrepeats=8 minlen=0 histexpire=0 histsize=0 pwdchecks= dictionlist= default_roles= fsize=-1 cpu=-1 data=-1 stack=-1 core=0 rss=-1 nofiles=-1 roles=

# passwd test
Changing password for "test"
test's New password:
Re-enter test's new password:

---------- Post updated at 07:34 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:13 AM ----------

I'm trying to exactly do what i said earlier

Connection      
su to LDAP user      Works 
ssh to LDAP user   Works 
mkuser                  Creates local user
rmuser                   Delete local user 
chuser                   Changes local user 
lsuser                    List local and LDAP user (or just the local users)
mkuser/rmuser/chuser -R LDAP works but my LDAP server will block this <-- this is the wanted behavior

If i put registry to LDAP, all user will be searched on the LDAP.
I think i need the SYSTEM = 'compat or LDAP' to login to local and LDAP users.

Normally, for user authentication admins want only one or the other, not both being checked.

I have never tried SYSTEM = compat OR compat[UNAVAIL] AND LDAP as I expect compat to always be available. Assuming compat[UNAVAIL] does not work then I think SYSTEM = compat OR LDAP comes closest to your authentication needs.

For accounts that must be local, like root - the solution has been to add specific

SYSTEM=compat

entries.

If your goal is to be as close to default as possible, set registry=files

The thing is that on CentOS, redhat servers we have, we can login to local users and LDAP users, and when performing actions on users, it only affects local users.
If it's not possible to do it on AIX well... I'll have to find a workaround.

Maybe I do not understand the question. But, let's say michael exists in both LDAP and AIX domains.

To change the account michael 'locally' I would use:

# chuser -R files .... michael

And the same, or a different change on LDAP would be:

# chuser -R LDAP .... michael

However, I expect most changes using chuser -R LDAP ... michael will fail if your server only supports the RFC2307 DIT or LDIF specification (basically, what is found in /etc/passwd and /etc/group and the shadowed encryption of the password).

Basics:
when you ran the mksecldap command you configured the file /etc/security/ldap.cfg and arranged for the daemons to start.

Look at this section on your server - I do not have LDAP configured so all are commented out - you should have a few uncommented.

Line numbers are approximate!
unix_auth is default, and preferred

+30  # Authentication type. Valid values are unix_auth and ldap_auth.
   +31  # Default is unix_auth.
   +32  # unix_auth - Retrieve user password and authenticate user locally.
   +33  # ldap_auth - Bind to LDAP server to authenticate user remotely through LDAP.
   +34  #authtype:unix_auth

Preferred is "system" and update /etc/security/login.cfg to use sssh256

+60  # Default is "crypt".
   +61  #  crypt      - Specifies the legacy crypt() (DES) algorithm.
   +62  #  system     - Specifies the syste-wide password algorithm that is
   +63  #               defined in /etc/security/login.cfg. Using syste-wide
   +64  #               password algorithm may require that LDAP server's
   +65  #               password encryption be disabled to avoid double
   +66  #               encryption, which can make the password unusable.
   +67  #pwdalgorithm:crypt

These are the user attributes defining the schema used. Are these uncommented? What do they point too?

+69  # AIX-LDAP attribute map path.
   +70  #userattrmappath:/etc/security/ldap/aixuser.map
   +71  #groupattrmappath:/etc/security/ldap/aixgroup.map
   +72  #idattrmappath:/etc/security/ldap/aixid.map
michael@x071:[/etc/security/ldap]ls /etc/security/ldap/*.map
/etc/security/ldap/2307aixgroup.map  /etc/security/ldap/aixuser.map        /etc/security/ldap/sfu30user.map
/etc/security/ldap/2307aixuser.map   /etc/security/ldap/sfu20group.map     /etc/security/ldap/sfur2aixgroup.map
/etc/security/ldap/2307group.map     /etc/security/ldap/sfu20user.map      /etc/security/ldap/sfur2aixuser.map
/etc/security/ldap/2307user.map      /etc/security/ldap/sfu30aixgroup.map  /etc/security/ldap/sfur2group.map
/etc/security/ldap/aixgroup.map      /etc/security/ldap/sfu30aixuser.map   /etc/security/ldap/sfur2user.map
/etc/security/ldap/aixid.map         /etc/security/ldap/sfu30group.map

And finally, for the basics: what is active/inactive here?

+74  # Base DN where the user and group data are stored in the LDAP server.
   +75  # e.g., if user foo's DN is: uid=foo,ou=people,cn=aixdata
   +76  # then the user base DN is: ou=people,cn=aixdata
   +77  #userbasedn:ou=people,cn=aixdata
   +78  #groupbasedn:ou=groups,cn=aixdata
   +79  #idbasedn:cn=aixid,ou=system,cn=aixdata
   +80  #hostbasedn:ou=hosts,cn=aixdata
   +81  #servicebasedn:ou=services,cn=aixdata
   +82  #protocolbasedn:ou=protocols,cn=aixdata
   +83  #networkbasedn:ou=networks,cn=aixdata
   +84  #netgroupbasedn:ou=netgroup,cn=aixdata
   +85  #rpcbasedn:ou=rpc,cn=aixdata
   +86  #automountbasedn:ou=automount,cn=aixdata
   +87  #aliasbasedn:ou=aliases,cn=aixdata
   +88  #bootparambasedn:ou=ethers,cn=aixdata
   +89  #etherbasedn:ou=ethers,cn=aixdata
   +90  #authbasedn:ou=authorizations,cn=aixdata
   +91  #rolebasedn:ou=roles,cn=aixdata
   +92  #privcmdbasedn:ou=privcmds,cn=aixdata
   +93  #privdevbasedn:ou=privdevs,cn=aixdata
   +94  #privfilebasedn:ou=privfiles,cn=aixdata
   +95  #domainbasedn:ou=domains,cn=aixdata
   +96  #domobjbasedn:ou=domobjs,cn=aixdata

---------- Post updated at 02:17 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:14 PM ----------

I expect it is using, by default, the same schema (attribute mapping) in LDAP and it does in it's local files.

AIX includes an LDAP server at no additional charge for AIX user admin. Maybe using that will get you 90% of the way. You can still configure AIX to go to a 'foreign' LDAP server for "login" verification.

Okay,

i found a solution that seems to work (in my setup):

Security authentication mechanism in AIX

authcontroldomain attribute

AIX introduced a new alternative authentication control attribute "authcontroldomain" from AIX 6.1 Tl07 and 71 Tl01 releases. When this attribute is set, SYSTEM and registry attributes are stored or retrieved from that database. For local users, SYSTEM and registry attribute are stored in /etc/security/user file irrespective of the authcontroldomain value.

The authcontroldomain attribute needs to be defined with a loadmodule name which is defined in the /etc/methods.cfg or /usr/lib/security/methods.cfg file. This attribute needs to be defined in the /etc/security/login.cfg file under the usw stanza.

authcontroldomain attribute can be set for a system as using the chsec command. For example:

chsec -f /etc/security/login.cfg -s usw -a authcontroldomain=LDAP
/etc/security/user
default:
        SYSTEM = "files"
        registry = files

Quick Test: LDAP and local User Login works fine without further specifying SYSTEM or registry.

Regards

Edit:
IBM Systems Magazine - AIX Authentication Mechanism Simplifies System Security | AIX | IBM Systems Magazine | System p, System p5, Power System | security, Uma M. Chandolu, LDAP, Kerberos, PAM, NIS, authentication mechanism

Security load modules are defined in /usr/lib/security/methods.cfg file. User identification is done based on order in, which load modules are defined in methods.cfg file. Local load module information is not defined in the /usr/lib/security/methods.cfg file. However, the user information will be verified first in local module; then the order that is defined in methods.cfg file will follow.

2 Likes

Thanks -=XrAy=-, for reminding me that sometimes developerworks has new information, not just rehashed.

AIX_user_324891 - lots of feedback in both directions. I am still not sure exactly what you want to achieve. If I was at your location I would ask for a demonstration of what you do on your linux servers - and then think about how I would approach that on AIX. Security is Managing Detail - without control of the details security is not - imho. So, describing, in definitive terms helps an old fool like myself (fool because I play blind (I prefer saying I try to not assume) to things everyone else sees as self-evident).

1 Like

Thanks for you reply,

Its almost what i need, your solution looks good but now i think i've got a configuration problem :confused:, when i login to my ldap user via root (su ldap_user) it works, but when i try to login with a normal user i got an error message.

root@vsqft01:/ # lsuser ldap_user
ldap_user id=15000 pgrp=admin_system groups=admin_system 
home=/home/ldap_user shell=/usr/bin/bash login=true su=true 
rlogin=true daemon=true admin=false sugroups=ALL admgroups= 
tpath=nosak ttys=ALL expires=0 auth1=SYSTEM umask=22 
registry=files SYSTEM=compat logintimes= loginretries=0 
pwdwarntime=0 account_locked=false minage=0 maxage=0 
maxexpired=-1 minalpha=0 minloweralpha=0 minupperalpha=0 
minother=0 mindigit=0 minspecialchar=0 mindiff=0 maxrepeats=8 
minlen=0 histexpire=0 histsize=0 pwdchecks= dictionlist= default_roles= 
fsize=-1 cpu=-1 data=-1 stack=-1 core=0 rss=-1 nofiles=-1 
unsuccessful_login_count=5 roles=
root@vsqft01:/ # su ldap_user

ldap_user@vsqft01:/ # lsuser ldap_user
ldap_user id=15000 pgrp=admin_system groups=admin_system home=/home/ldap_user shell=/usr/bin/bash registry=LDAP SYSTEM= roles=
ldap_user@vsqft01:/ # su ldap_user
ldap_user's Password:
Cannot su to "ldap_user" : Authentication is denied.

---------- Post updated at 09:15 AM ---------- Previous update was at 08:50 AM ----------

Here's a demonstation of what i can do on my linux servers :
First i've got a linux user in my LDAP server like this :
uid=ldap_user,ou=linux_users,ou=other,o=other
When connecting to our CentOS server, i just do this :

ssh ldap_user@vhzva03
[ldap_user] $ id
uid=9999(ldap_user) gid=16000(network_admin) groupes=16000(network_admin)

Now on that vhzva03 if i grep /etc/passwd, i don't find the ldap_user (as expected)

[root] # grep ldap_user /etc/passwd

When looking with a ldapsearch command
ldapsearch -b "o=other" -x "(cn=ldap_user)"

dn: uid=ldap_user,ou=linux_users,ou=other,o=other
cn: ldap_user
gidNumber: 16000
homeDirectory: /home/ldap_user
loginShell: /bin/bash
objectClass: posixAccount
objectClass: account
objectClass: shadowAccount
uid: ldap_user
uidNumber: 9999
userPassword:: 

Now with a useradd :

[root] # useradd test
[root] # grep test /etc/passwd
test:x:501:501::/home/test:/bin/bash

Now userdel:

[root] # userdel test
[root] # grep test /etc/passwd

[root] # userdel ldap_user
userdel : user ldap_user does not exist

As you can see, i can login via ssh, su to my ldap_user.
When performing account commands, only local users are affected.

Changing the default stanza to

/etc/security/user
SYSTEM = "compat or LDAP"

seems to be a workaround. Now i can SU from an LDAP user to another LDAP user. If i try to delete a ldap user (as root), i get an error: 3004-698 Error committing changes to "ldap_user".

BUT: I noticed that the chsec command throw the same error.

# chsec -f /etc/security/user -s default -a SYSTEM="compat or LDAP"
3004-698 Error committing changes to "default".

So the use of authcontroldomain seems to be buggy. You/I will need do further tests.

Regards

1 Like

Ok, i triied this, it looks like it work, hope the

# chsec -f /etc/security/user -s default -a SYSTEM="compat or LDAP"
3004-698 Error committing changes to "default".

Does not make some bugs anywhere

I've got another problem...
Here's whats happening when i try to change the user password as root:

vhqut11:root 
# passwd ldap_user
Changing password for "ldap_user"
ldap_user's Old password:
ldap_user's New password:
Re-enter ldap_user's new password:

It works but on my LDAP, the password encryption is : clear. (it was md5crypt before passwd)

Now when i change the passwd with the ldap_user, it doesn't even work :

vhqut11:ldap_user
# passwd
Changing password for "ldap_user"
ldap_user's Old password:
ldap_user's New password:
Re-enter ldap_user's new password:
A password change is not allowed at this time.

Any tips?

Hmm,

google? :wink:

RE: Change user Password from an AIX on openLDAP server

Chapter 6 OpenLDAP password policy overlay

We use LDAP in read only mode, so i can't give any more hints.

Regards