migrate user ID and password

Can anyone advice on how to migrate user information - groups, names, passwords from one server to another?

I am building a duplicate server to replace an old one and I need to move user information off the old server, help!

I don't know AIX at all. But in general, the /etc/passwd file doesn't contain the whole data. It might also be the case for /etc/group on some UNICes. The whole data are in other files and it is not the same for all UNICes. But it is probably somewhere in /etc. Check the passwd(5) man page, maybe it will tell you. And beside their /home stuff, don't forget to backup the crontabs and the mails. And check adduser(8) and rmuser(8), they might have some infos on the /etc files or pointers to utilities that might help you.

I deployed a replacement box recently. (SunOS). I got /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow, /etc/group, and the crontabs. The box in question did not have local mail for users so that was not an issue. But a user got mad because I missed her atjobs! Rather than using cron, she uses "at" to submit jobs, with each job re-submitting itself. So you might want to check for that too.

Hi,

I have recently carried out this exercise, I can provide you with all the scripts that you will need.

This is a simple process, but it would help quite a lot if you could tell me what versions you are going from and to.

I have scripts which will migrate SunOS, BSD, Reliant, HPUX and several other flavours of Unix to AIX 5.2. Regretably they are a bit big for inclusion here. also the instructions are a bit lengthy.

Rgds

Dave

hey friends
i am a good spammer,
Can anyone teach meon how to migrate user information - groups, ftp servename, username and passwords from one server host or hack host to another?or my own infos

as a matter of urgency i need someone who can help me or who has hack host to share with me i,ll also pay or give him big things in exchange,regardless of this post am looking fd to hear fom you guys as asap. you can reach me on my private email address abidex42007@yahoo.com

respect

Eng.Zeeho

I would use rdist especially if you wish to keep them in sync