Meta Devices

I have added a sun storage array from a faiulty server onto a new server and copied the md.conf files etc. I can now access the /dev/md/dsk file systems, but I want to delete some metadevices that do not exist (it still thinks the 0 and 1 (root /var /export) disk are mirrored. How do I do this?

Check out the man pages for metadetach and metaclear but if your server was running anything with DiskSuite before you moved the array over, be careful. I don't think pulling the array and md.conf files over was the best route. If you weren't using DiskSuite prior, then maybe you will get away with it with no problems. You must have changed your /etc/system for DiskSuite and rebooted so hopefully you won't have issues.

Click here and scroll down to "How to Move SPARCstorage Array Disks Between Hosts (Command Line)" to see a better way to handle this.

ok, I followed those instructions pretty much but it still adds meta devices for my / /var /export partitions, even though they are not mirrored. I'm confused why it is doing this. I assume I should not edit the md.conf file manually

I would have to agree that you shouldn't hand edit the md.cf (I didn't find a md.conf) especially since it states not to edit it on all the servers I checked.

run metatool and see if you can remove the "annoyances" from there ...

metatool? There is no metatool command available in /usr/sbin :eek:
running Solaris 9 by the way.

i checked my solaris 9 box and i couldn't find metatool either --- guess they got rid of that after solaris 8 ...

anyways, it just occured to me that it might be possible that your metaclear and metadetach commands are referring to the the metadb in the local diskset --- as in the internal drives of the functioning server --- when they should be referring to the metadb in the imported diskset ... see "-s" option in "man metadetach" ...

Starting with Solaris 9 they "revamped" their Disksuite package, I think it is maintained under the SMC now. I still use the older Disksuite because I hate SMC...it sucks.