MDADM Failure - where it came from?

Hello,
i have a system with 6 sata3 seagate st3000dm01 disks running on stable Debian with software raid mdadm. i have md0 for root and md1 for swap and md2 for the files. i now want to add one more disk = sdh4 for md2 but i got this errors:

The new disk is connected to an 4 port sata controller which is connected onto the x4 slot on the mainboard. At first i thought it is the cable and I changed the cable for all disks, but the error occures again. The disk is new, fresh from the factory. Any ideas where the problem could be?

Looks like sdh2 failed, and you got a NULL pointer dereference immediately afterwards. So much for robustness in event of a disk failure...

Check all your disks.

Does this mean the disk has failure? Its a new one. How could i check this? Debian tool badblock?

edit: as i understand the timing - first ata7 gave error with smart (Nov 23 22:30:47) and later the new disk strikes, right? could it a problem with smartd?

Hey Guys,
i searched further in the web and found some possible problems with Marvell Chip 88SE9230 which is on the extra Sata Controller. Could this be the problem?

This is a kernel panic. It's not supposed to happen. You're probably not going to get a concrete answer unless it happens more than once in predictable circumstances.

Hi,
i got this everytime i want to add a disk to the array. Meanwhile i think its a problem with the marvel chipset on the sata controller and perhaps smart. this seems to crash the disks if they under heavy load.

It seems doubtful that it's a problem in smartd.

What's your kernel?

Hello,
its the amd64 kernel from debian wheezy backports 3.16. i think its a problem with the marvel chipset. i found some other who have those problems in the net, but i am not sure.