Maximum # of IVMs? + Question about vCPU

Hello,

I am trying to figure out the maximum number of 11.31 IVMs we can create on our system. We have an Integrity rx2660, and here is the hardware info:

CPU info:
  2 Intel(R) Itanium 2 9100 series processors (1.42 GHz, 12 MB)
          532 MT/s bus, CPU version A1
          4 logical processors (2 per socket)

Memory: 8171 MB (7.98 GB)

The administration guide lists the minimum memory for an HPUX 11.31 installation as 1.5gb, with 2gb recommended. Not taking into account vCPUs, we are limited to 3 IVMs with 2gb memory each, leaving 2gb for the host. Is this a safe assumption?

I am also unsure of how vCPUs work - It looks like I have two physical CPUs, 4 logical CPUs. Does 4 logical CPUs = 4 vCPUs? If so, then it sounds like I could create each IVM with 1 vCPU, again leaving us with a maximum of 3 IVMs + 1 CPU for the host.

Thanks in advance.

if still an issue ...

your assumption is okay but not always accurate ... virtual machine environments use a different algorithm to allocate computing resources to guests some of the normal assumptions based on physical server characteristics do not apply ...

anyways, the HP IVM Installation, Configuration and Administration Guide v A.03.50 indicates on page 16 that there is no set limit on the number of IVMs you can configure and mostly confirms your assumption (see page 26) ... i suggest you read up on it further to see if there are other questions it can answer ...

1 Like

Good to know, thank you!