mandrake/ linux partition

okay...

I want to learn linux, i have some books, but im one of those types who would rather get my hands dirty then read a textbook. dont get me wrong, i will spend some time reading.
I really want to install mandrake first, but because i have no experience with Linux or unix, i think im better off installing an emulator. this is also due to the fact that, for now, im afraid of messing up the whole partition. I read the other posts , and they say mandrake has its own "partition software" and it will partition itself. does it automatically detect the windows XP partition and make a new one around it? (i have xp by the way : ) if not how do i determine the correct partitioning of my hard drive?

For my situation, would you guys recommend mandrake or the knoppox emulator?

p.s. my objective is to have both O/S's on my pc with a dual booter if i choose mandrake

Please don't double post - everyone can see your question no matter which forum you place it in. I deleted the duplicate.

Well sorry for the double post, i thought i would put it somewhere where there was more traffic. Anyways noone has posted a recommendation for me yet, some feedback would be greatly appreciated...... anyone...... Please?!