Managing nodes???

Does anyone know something about this? I have no idea what it means and how to do it. but if anyone can give me and explanation and also point me to a website, i'd really appreciate it

What types of nodes are you looking to manager or are you looking for something that will manage all your nodes? Nodes could be referring to just about anything: the systems that make up a cluster, individual systems, even hubs.

I would like to know about managing all nodes but most important is managing nodes that make up a cluster and individual systems

WOW!, I don't think there is a simple answer for that given it is pretty general. Every vendor seems to have their own take on cluster management. IBM has HACMP for AIX, RedHat has Pirahna for Advanced Server. Sun, HP, DEC, etc all have there own as well. The concepts are usually similar. I don't know of a good general clustering resource. You may just want to pick an OS and read about it's cluster management. Be aware there are 2 general classifications of clusters, Highly Available where you are trying to provide a resource 24x7 and Computing where you are trying to utilize several CPU's to solve 1 problem. Beowulf.org is a good start for the later and the RedHat Advanced Server 2.1 Install and Configuration Guide may be a good start for the first, atleast to get the concepts. It is freely downloadable from redhat.com.

As far as single node management, "Essential System Administration" from O'Reilly is probably a good start.

Hope this helps a bit. Don't know if it is what you are looking for.

am sorry for asking the question in the wrong way but what I really wanted to know was how to monitor nodes. you have any idea on how to do this? Take for instance, the systems I work on are Solaris, SunOS and Linux RedHat. so any information concerning monitoring nodes on these systems will be highly appreciated. Thank you

A pretty neat and free "node montor" is bigbrother

it can monitor diskspace, load, logfiles, connectivity and a lot more if you install 3 party modules..
http://www.bb4.com
is this what you are looking for?

For the sun machines you can also checkout sun's own
hardware monitor :
http://wwws.sun.com/software/solaris/sunmanagementcenter/index.html

hope this helps!

/Peter