Managing Geeks

Hi,

I recently found this article in computerworld and I think it is very true - at least in my company ... what do you guys think - is the author right? Is it ignorant management that makes us IT people seem to be anti-social and weird?

Please share your thoughts

Kind regards
zxmaus

Very good article. Not every point he makes is true of every IT job I've had, but all of them fit at least some of the jobs.

Agree with it completely. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, from the bottom to 3 levels up from the bottom, with 3 different companies that imploded from a lack of management skills or self-delusion.

Management creates their own problems by promoting or hiring managers that don't respect the abilities of the people that work for them or in the case of misfits, the inability to judge the work problems created by the problem employees.

I can't say I agree with that wholeheartedly, but I do agree with this:

As a minor example I'm often instructed to put folks into the senior staff group so they can access files senior staff has stored for them. But it is not necessary to give junior interns read-write access to the most deeply secured files on our intranet. If senior staff would just store less-restricted files in less-restricted folders(again, laid out to their specifications, and heavily documented down to immutable "read me" files in all base folders) this would be unnecessary. I'm continually put on the spot and must seem like a stuffy, paranoid jackbooted enforcer, but when I explain the extent of the damage that could be done by accident with needlessly broad access, my manger's always forced to agree.

It's of course not always like this. I'm happy to say they're gradually getting the idea. Still I clearly understand the sentiment... For IT's systems to operate correctly, and no matter how closely we try and model them to the users' needs, the acknowledgment and cooperation of both users and management is needed whether any of us like it or not.

I couldn't agree with the article more, thanks for sharing!

Very nice article,
thank you!