Make utility

When we run the make utility , make compiles only those files which are undergone changes(other files which have not undergone any changes are not recompiled)

The Following quotes says

When you run the make utility, it examines the modification times of files and determines what needs to be regenerated. Files that are older than the files they depend on must be regenerated. Regenerating one file may cause others to become old, so that several files end up being regenerated. 

1) How does the make utiltity check whether the file is updated ?

2) What does it mean Modification times of files

3) what does it consider or look for before creating an object file

I would like to know about some things which make utility does in the background before creating the object files

Regards
Victor Vinod Kumar

files have modification times. make looks at those and decides what has to be updated.

modification means the file was saved to disk (possibly changed) at that time.

mkae has some rules of thumb about how it decides to go about keeping things up-to-date. For example, since it knows that object.o requires three source files in order to compile, it checks the modifcation times of each source file. If any of the source files is newer than the object.o file, it rebuilds object.o

If any file uses object.o (now it is newer than it was a minute ago) those files are rebuilt as well.

Thanks for the reply

Keeping this in view , what are the advantages and disadvantages of make

One of my colleague was saying that the clear make has some more advantage than GNU make.

He was saying that GNUmake is not an intelligent tool whereas Clearcase make is intelligent tool.

how is it intelligent and in what ways is it intellegent

Thanks and Regards

Victor vinod kumar

I know nothing about clearcase. Sorry.

Thats fine, No Problem

regards

victor