machine to learn Sol10

Hi

What kind of Sun machine, you recommend to buy in order to learn Solaris 10 administration ?

I need machine where I can train the following sol10 features :

• zfs
  • solstice suite (RAID 0+1, RAID 5, RAID 1 + 0 )
  • containers

Please advice sth for reasonable price.

thx for help.

don't know about containers, but zfs and metadevices will work under solaris10 x86 on vmware.

Yes I know that but I need SPARC platform.

Containers are zones , virtual system. Which can easily build in any system it can be x86 arc or it could be saprc . in case if you think about LDOM and all then you need to have very advance servers!!!!

All the above you can test in SPARCstation 10 box given that you can get in market.

OK.
But does it have ALOM ports ?

Of course not it�s not server its workstation that too out of market almost 10 year back. I suggested the basic system which you can use for the topics which you posted in your 1st text.

And ALOM is nothing, its set of command to manage the system remotely through network. In case you looking for LOM / ALOM then you need to opt for bald100 or something like that

Yes I need this machine to have : OpenBoot PROM (ok> prompt) and A/ILOM to remotely manage server.

Sorry but I don't understand what is "bald100" ?

My mistake I mean blade100, these are name of sparc system. OK or OBP firmware you will be getting on all saprc box, it�s like BIOS what you have on x86.

For LOM and ALOM you can search the net to get the idea as on which all system you have LOM and AMLOM,I mean all latest systems have ALOM, however not sure as just for learning how wise it is to invest lot of money.

You should consider something like a SunFire V210. It is SPARC-based, has ALOM and OpenBoot. You can pick these up on Ebay and elsewhere for less than $150.