Lpar migration

We have a 2 node oracle rac cluster one node is in frame 1 and other is in frame 2
Now,because of some hardware failure(processor card and cable) in frame 1 we will failover database services from lpar in frame 1 to lpar(oracle rac cluster node2) in frame2 and the entire replacement of hardware parts will take around 4 hrs after which we will failback services after bringing up the node.

Is there not a mechanism by which we can directly migrate lpar from frame 1 to frame 2?

Best regards,
Vishal

It is my understanding that Oracle RAC is actually running the database on all nodes concurrently, so if you stop node1, then all transactions and traffic will continue to be processed on node2.

This assumes that the TNS names on all clients are correctly configured so that clients will be aware that RAC is in play and that transfer will take place. You will have tested this when building and deploying your application, I'm sure. If there is an unexpected crash, then I'm assuming that your application will seamlessly continue.

Would you have the confidence to crash your node1 server? If not then that would suggest that this has never been tested.

Robin

1 Like

Thanks Robin! Youn understanding stands correct and in addition in 11g RAC only select statements failover to other node however dml(insert,update) transactions will fail if the node goes down.
I was just wondering if the could be something at lpar level by which the lpar migration/mapping could have happened to a new lpar in frame 2 so that it would have no impact on transactions running dml

Best regards,
Vishal

Sorry for Interrupting,

Vishal,
As per my understanding to your post, I observe that your environment has 2 FRAMES, each with 1 LPAR and DB running on both lpars.

Your question is as your Frame1 keeps troubling , so want to migrate permanently the Lpar in Frame1 to Frame2, am I right?

If so, What if your trustful frame2 goes down.

Yes,your understanding is correct.

However,just once this problem has come for faulty processor card and cable in the frame so for replacement it would take at least 4 hours I was curious if there is a way which would take less than 4 hrs may by migrating/mapping lpar in other frame so that we don't get into performance issues for loading one node completely during the time the hardware replacement would be carried out on the frame in which there is other node of cluster.

Because of licensing I think there is issue on increasing resources on other lpar

Best regards,
Vishal

Ok,
To answer your question in simple way YES, you can migrate your LPAR from one frame to another. But there are few things to have to consider before doing so, such as licensing, support, hardware resources availability etc..,

If you are really interested in finding out more, I have posted a full detailed document about LPM on this forum (in pdf format), search for it and you will find it. (Look for any additional configuration for RAC, if there is any).

I hope this helps.

1 Like

Thanks a lot!

I got the document.

Best regards,
Vishal

In case the lpar is migrated to second frame I believe the ip of node would change in this case please confirm

Additionally,if the lpar are in cluster in that case I believe there would be a simple process to migrate lpar. Please correct me.

What I understand from our project environment is there are 11 lpar in the problematic frame and other 10 whcih were in cluster got easily migrated and the one lpar is not in cluster so can be migrated using live partition mobility only.
Additionally,how can we check if partition mobility is supported in the hardware.

Best regards,
Vishal

If an LPAR is migrated, then you would either need to keep the IP address (subject to the physical network restrictions) or update the DNS records, local host files, tnanames.ora on clients etc. or wherever you have hard-coded the IP address.

There should not be a problem with keeping the IP address the same unless you have your frames in different network segments that require different address ranges to be used.

If you do keep the IP address the same, ensure that you do not bring up multiple versions of the same LPAR (using the same IP address) at the same time.

Robin

1 Like

Hi,

Just a little thing..

I dont know anything about RAC, but I supposed you have vios and powerVM? If that true, you need enterprise edition in order to use live partition mobility on your lpars.
And of course, meet all requisits for LPM :b: