LPAR cannot added disk

Dear All,

I created a new partition through "Integrated Virtualization Manager" but there have an error when I added a new disk to the partition. The disk already created without any issue,

Below error is to add the disk to the partition

An error occured while modifying the assignments for storage device server1-hdisk0 on your partition.  Any changes made in tabs other than Storage and Optical Devices completed successfuly.  The errors that occured are listed below. 

A virtual SCSI adapter does not exist for partition 12.

I found all of the settings tab didn't found the item related to the SCSI setting.

And I found the existing partition created by vendor, there have a "Physical Location Code" on "Hardware inventory", but my new created disk don't have. is that the point I cannot add the disk to the partition.

Thanks all support.

No. It is actually this point:

You need an adapter (in this case a virtual SCSI adapter) to connect the system to the disk (this adapter is obviously missing), just like you need a network adapter to connect to a network. It is not enough to throw a cable somewhere near the computer and hope for the best.

Create a virtual SCSI adapter and add it to the LPARs profile, the restart.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

Dear Bakunin,

Thanks for your help, I know that it need a SCSI device to control the I/O but I don't where to add it under Integrated Virtualization Manager.

I clicked into all the tabs, seem no where that I can add a new SCSI device assign to the new partition.

Could you help to provide some idea?

I afraid my browser version issue, I switch to different browser still cannot found such setting.

Thanks.

You create it on the VIOS, not the IVM. You need to create a so-called "vhost". Here is a link where, as far as i saw in overviewing it, everything necessary is described: Virtual SCSI.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

1 Like

Thanks Bankunin,

Thanks for you help.

But I have another question needs your advices.

We have a LPAR, it crash last month, some delete file under /etc, so the AIX system cannot bootup correctly, so I did a restore on /etc, but there have an error during bootup.

Successfully updated the Kernal Authorization Table.
Successfully updated the Kernal Role Table.
Successfully updated the Kernal Command Table.
Successfully updated the Kernal Device Table.
Successfully updated the Kernal Object Domain Table.
Successfully updated the Kernal Domains Table.
OPERATIONAL MODE Security Flags
ROOT                :   DISABLED
TRACEAUTH       :   DISABLED
System runtime mode is now OPERATIONAL MODE.
Starting LPAR boottime name check...
0526-001 alog: /etc/.lpar-boottime is not an alog file.
Checking...
Checking...
Checking...
Checking...FAILED

ERROR::Current LPAR name, [db1a], is not equal to saved LPAR name: []!

ERROR:: Halting the node to prevent improper bootup!
Sending nohup output to nobup.out.

I found there a file /etc/.lpar-boottime control on this, how can I re-create this file under maintenance mode to make the server bootup or any command bypass this checking?

Thanks.

OK, but please: open a separate thread for every separate problem you have. We try to handle (as far as is possible) one problem per thread so that searching for an already given solution later will not be convoluted. Thank you.

I haven't bothered with the other probable problems you encountered while booting (one problem at a time) but you could have found a solution for this by simply entering "0526-001 AIX" into Google. The second hit shown is: Porblem with errorlog (sic!).

I hope this helps (and thanks to sysgate!).

bakunin