Lost Ethernet

I really need some help here. I am trying to figure out a network issue on an AIX 5.3 machine. First time on an AIX. Box was working fine and then out of nowhere lost network connectivity. Checked ethernet, switch ports etc, no issue there. ifconfig -a show en0, en1 . tried using smit tcpip which says interface is down. When I try to start it it fails. Tried removing the interface rmdev -dl en0 -r , rmdev -dl en1 . Tried smit tcpip and am now getting the error

lsattr: 0514-519 The following device was not found in the customized device configuration database. en0

Having deleted the device you need to run cfgmgr to probe and discover it again.

This will happen next boot or you can force it with cfgmgr -S

You may also need to delete device ent0

Does that help?
Robin

I tried rebootin as well as running cfgmgr -S but it does nothing? When i go into smit tcpip i see the interfaves but if i try to bring it up i get an ifconfig error calling entry poi t for /usr/lib/drivers/if_en. The specified debice does not exist.

---------- Post updated at 08:43 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:48 PM ----------

I deleted all the devices and tried cfgmgr -S nothing. Rebooted, still nothing. Now I have no ethernet at all! This is a built in 2 port card by the way. What to do?

It would have been interesting to know in which state the device was: AIX devices can be in state "Defined", which means their configuration information is in the ODM but the device itself is either removed or not working, or "Available", which means the device is configured like in "Defined" but also there.

If you delete the ODM information of a device which is only defined (this is what rmdev ultimately does) you won't get it back from running cfgmgr , obviously.

Show the output of the command lsdev -Cc adapter command to see what you really have at your system.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

Here is what I got from the lsdev -Cc adapter

cxpa0 Defined
ide0   Available
sisioa0 Available
sisscsia0 Avialable
usbhco Defined
usbhd Defined
vsa0 Defined
vsa1 Available
vsa2 Available

First: rebooting and running cfgmgr -S is (i this regard) the same. Part of the reboot is just running cfgmgr . So, if the one doesn't help, the other won't either.

Second: i don't see any ethernet adapters there. Either your card is not recognized or not working at all. But the listing looks odd anyway because it mixes virtual and physical components. Please describe the system you are working on and if this system is an LPAR or a physical machine.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

It is an ibm P5 physical server. AIX5.3

hmmm....

The P5 generation is about 10 years old but these systems were already virtualised. Are you sure you are not describing the service processor connectors? These are ethernet too, but you cannot use them as network interfaces. Service processors are what is called an "ILO-board" in PC technique and you connect these lines to a HMC via a non-routed network.

Which sort of P5 is it, actually? What is the model number?

I hope this helps.

bakunin