looking for linux like tab terminal for windows

Hello all
is there any free tool like linux tabbed terminal but for windows
im used to work with putty and its great but i wander if there something like putty
but with tabs

thanks

SecureCRT from VanDyke. They have a free 30-day trial.
It is not a free product though.

im looking for something free
thanks

i have never tried this, but you might be able to install Cygwin with X11 support, and then run gnome-terminal if you install the relevant Cygwin packages.

Hi, there is an upcoming program called wintabber (http://www.wintabber.com) which can tab many terminal programs like putty and ssh secure shell. It should be available this year, but probably not for free.

Use http://en.poderosa.org/ as the terminal emulator. I can use cygwin as well from the same tool in additon to having tabbed interface to all my linux/sun boxes.

Poderosa's tabs are more like panes of the same window. Fortunately you don't lose the info from your configuration files ('tleast I don't). WinTabber looks like it brings the supported terminal emulators closer to the Firefox, OS X Preferences kind of Tabs.
(On that, does anyone know if it has support for rxvt? I didn't see anything on the product page about it.)

I'd suggest screen. It's not graphical tabbing, but it works even without X11 installed, and keeps your programs running even when you log out. Plus, you don't have to install it on every PC you're using to login since it runs on the server.

Re: Screen - Do you have its full name or a link from which to download it?

Full name: GNU screen
Where to get it:

• Debian/[Xu|Ku|U]buntu: apt-get install screen
  • SuSE: zypper install screen
  • Gentoo: emerge screen
  • RedHat/Fedora: yum install screen
  • Windows: Available via Cygwin

And I just found another one. Standalone, like Poderosa and WinTab, multi-platform (OS X and a few Linuxes like Ubuntu, Fedora & Solaris), tabs in the more familiar Web-browser fashion, and free under GNU GPL.

The Windows version does require Cygwin with Ruby, however, which puts it a little further down my 'hassle-free install' list so far as standalone emulators go. I mean, presently I have both installed, but in the future it may be different.

Just one more vegetable to add to the stew :slight_smile: .

BZT

Read and download here

A caveat to anyone new to Linux going after a/the Gnome WM for Cygwin.

Yes, there is still a Gnome category in the Cygwin setup.exe. Yes, the items in that category do install from the mirrors using the latest, or next-to-latest, version of said setup utility. But unfortunately the Cygwin/X Gnome pages are more than a little out of date. Most of them are still calling the Cygwin X stuff by its old name "X-Free86" while in terms of 'what came from where,' is technically correct, a good many things have changed with Cygwin X from those days to now, enough to make instructions on how to start Gnome within Cygwin practically useless. For instance: the mention of an /opt/gnome folder -- in my two most recent installs of Cygwin, an "opt" folder was not installed. Yet by following the instructions on the main Gnome for Cygwin pages, one would end up (as I did) adding a nonexistent folder to their execution path, either on the Cygwin side, the M$ side or both.

Just a little word of warning from someone who, after KDE, likes Gnome most of all in the Linux universe.

BZT

Vernon's blog: Tabbed terminal under Cygwin using mrxvt tabs

Some people have issues with how much, what kind, how new the stuff in their X11 installs are for Cygwin, as you'll see in the comments. But if you, like me, have been cruising around the Web trying out this and that solution, terminal, low-profile X11 app and finding different things out about each one, you ought to have whatever's necessary to install MRXVT according to Vernon's instructions without a hitch or hiccup.

Personal note: it's also the first time I was able to launch XWin from my Cygwin rxvt without it arguing with me about who owned my screen. Turns out if you get behind both with a call to put up X apps by way of your machine's ip (and localhost: won't do it, either, I'm guessing), it works like a charm.

BZT