Log file not getting updated

hi all, i'm a student and managing lab at my insti. there in one application in which log file has to be maintaine the number of bytes transferred and received. but after certain entries these two attributes stop getting updated and holds same values for rest of the session. This happens one time on running 15-20 times the appliccation. So, i am not sure what type of programming problem is this. I got a hold in the code but its too huge to start with. One more thing this problem gets regular after 3-4 hr and regularly can be reproduced. What kind of problem is this. Any suggestion will be very helpful....

It sounds like some kind of progamming problem. Are you running out of disk space in the filesystem where the logfile lives? You should see errors about disk space.

cd /directory/to/logfile
df -b .

This shows the number of free bytes If it is a small number (<10000) you have a problem. YOu need to clean out unused files - move them off somewhere else or back them up to tape and then delete them.

Maybe the logfile is getting updated but the application has reached steady state so receiving / sending rates remain the same.
Did you check out the mtime of the file?

Hi jim, i used following command:

I think, there is enough disk space for a log file.

i'm not sure how to use mtime to find out logfile is getting updated. I have little idea abt mtime, with that i think, it'll print same value if its getting updated by some function or printing same value again and again.

ls -lt

to see the mtime (second column from last).